Squash

Old 09-29-2022, 07:00 PM

Default Squash

Hubby baked a squash for dinner and it had a flavor I just couldn’t put my finger on. He used a little Karo syrup and butter because he said we are completely out of brown sugar. It was quite good.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:43 AM

I made some recently that had Maple syrup and olive oil with nutmeg. It was tasty.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by DebLuvsQuiltng View Post
I made some recently that had Maple syrup and olive oil with nutmeg. It was tasty.
We do this with both squash and sweet potatoes, but use cinnamon instead. SO good!
Old 09-30-2022, 06:08 AM

I bought 6 different kinds of squash at a roadside stand. They are delicious! Much better than the ones in the grocery stores. I got some of the usual variates like Kabocha, acorn, Hubbard, delicata, carnival, and a round orange with a thin skin that was very good. I think my favorite is the delicata. As I am supposed to avoid sugar, my favorite way to fix them is to just quarter them, seed them, wrap in foil and roast. Then I just put a little butter on them or not. If I have leftovers, I slice them and fry them in a little butter, so they are a little crisp around the edges. Ha, I seldom have leftovers, I have an 84 year old neighbor who will always take a slice or two of roasted squash and also my sister who lives next door never turns a slice down. The vender sells a 1/2-bushel box all you can fit in it for $18. I got 10 squashes in my box. I am planning on picking up another box of them as they will keep. The one I haven't tried is the blue hubbard one. It is a small one. The vender said the best way to crack that one is to pick it up and smash it on a cement sidewalk. ummm....

Oh, sometimes I keep the seeds, clean them, soak a bit in salt water and roast in the oven. Those are good to.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I love squash and just picked up a butternut. I have been hearing great reviews of Candy Roasters but they are an heirloom squash and no one grows them here. I think I might order some seeds to plant next year. Apparently you can store them all winter for use.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:18 AM

when I bought my squash, I wanted more delicata. The vender said I could only have two as that was the only one they had a limit on. I asked why. He said they are time consuming to grow. Something about the growers have to tend them and pluck off some of the blossoms to get the remaining ones to grew big enough and that takes time! Oh, I roasted up the acorn squash I bought with the others. I only got one as acorn is not my favorite. Oh my goodness, this one was so much tastier than the ones I have gotten in the store. It was Fairly sweet and creamy and moist. Just nummy! Umm, when I go to get some more, It is going to be hard to pick out what varieties I want as everyone so far has "been the best"
I may have to try growing some now that the climate has warmed up so much. It used to be, I could plant things like pumpkin and squash but the only ones that would get big enough to eat before the first frost were zuccinnii.. Still haven't had a frost up here and it is Oct 1st. Unbelievable. Used to planning on Sept 8 or so

Last edited by sewingpup; 10-01-2022 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:03 AM

Yeah! Squash season.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

I love squash too! I have been making zucchini squares, soups, breads and just cubed and buttered as a side dish recently. We have had crook neck, zucchini, butternut, acorn, delicata and even a small pumpkin. I was going to look up how to make a drink with it. I think done right, it could be great. I mostly like it as a savory taste, but I do like it with nutmeg and brown sugar occasionally.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

This recipe caught my eye to try.
Roasted Delicata Squash Recipe - Love and Lemons
Old 10-02-2022, 02:28 AM

I worry about cutting fingers when working with hard squashes like butternut or kabocha. So I usually roast them whole (after jabbing them in a few places with a skewer) until they are soft. The peels come off easily as they peel, and I can scoop out the seeds. Then I cook them, either by roasting some more or steaming/boiling. Any I can't use right away go into the freezer. So good with a little maple syrup drizzled on top.