View Single Post
Old 11-18-2022, 10:14 AM
tropit

Default How to get rich, dark gravy

I've posted this a few years ago, but I think that it warrants posting it again. You see those magazine and TV images of super rich, dark gravy that's served over creamy mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving. But turkey stock, is like chicken stock...very light in color and it never gets super dark by just cooking it down. So here are some of my tips...

Use your oven a couple of days beforehand to roast some left over, non-starchy veggies, bones and maybe a little wine in a large roasting pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with a little oil and toss in your veggies. They can be scraps, or maybe just on the edge of going bad...but not bad. Onions (no skins) tomatoes, carrots, celery, parsley, mushrooms, kale, green beans, squash, etc. Add some chicken, or turkey bones to that pile. Hopefully, you've saved the neck and giblets and possibly the wing tips from the bird that you're planning to serve. Put all of those extras in there. I like to add a little white, or red wine to the mix too. Put the pan in the oven at around 375 degrees F and roast them all until everything is dark brown. This might take an hour or two. Take out all of the veggies, bones and bits and put them in a stock pot. Add some turkey, chicken, or veggie broth to the pot and cook it all down to make a super rich, dark broth. I like to add herbs near the end. Cook that down awhile, when it looks good, add some S and P. Strain it all into a new container. Now, when you make your gravy, use this broth to make it. If you don't know how to make gravy, I'll post that too.