View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 01:20 AM
ToBoldlyQuilt

I think it's the 'natural" in the name that directs people that way. "Natural" does not sound like polypropylene. It strongly implies a pure natural fibre product. As Peckish was saying, it' s in the small print on the packet and very hard to find at all online. A scrim is there for a purpose, and you'd expect it to be mentioned as a good point, such as "With polypropylene scrim for stability when machine quilting".

I also noticed that their 100% cotton batting of the same weight is named "Warm 100", which doesn't make it clear it means 100% cotton. I actually assumed 100 was the weight in GSM or something. If they called it "Warm 100% Cotton", I think they'd get a lot of customers saying, "Then what is the Warm and Natural?" Ditto if they made a fuss about the Warm and Plush being 100% cotton.

I have lost track of how many people I've seen saying they're using Warm & Natural "because it's 100% cotton". It seems to be what the majority of customers believe. I'm pretty sure they're aware of this and advertise carefully to continue the misconception. That's just about legal, but not particularly ethical.

I wouldn't call Warm and Plush remotely plush, either! They make a big fuss calling it soft, and someone sent me a sample the other week. I was startled at how stiff it was. I've never thought of a batting as being like cardboard before. They also call it "the warmest natural batting ever manufactured", and I'm pretty sure the QD Cotton Supreme is the thickest (and thus warmest) cotton batting around. Also where would wool fit in?

I really wish all battings listed weight and loft as default. There are a few other features to be aware of when comparing battings, but that would be a big start.

Last edited by ToBoldlyQuilt; 11-24-2022 at 01:25 AM.