View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 07:28 AM
SewingSew

Everyone in my family canned food when I was growing up. I have a pressure canner and a water-bath canner. At the beginning of the pandemic, I was canning apple pie filling. I mention the pandemic, because there was a shortage of canning supplies at the time, so we purchased canning jars that had one piece lids instead of the standard lids with bands. While I was removing the jars from the pressure canner, unbeknownst to me the lid had started to come unscrewed during the canning process, and when I started to lift a jar out of the water, it exploded in my face. If it weren't for my glasses, I'm sure the very hot liquid would have hit my eyes. It burned me pretty badly but I was afraid to go to the hospital at the time. I had big blisters on my face, chest, and hands. I usually keep an Aloe Vera plant in my kitchen for burns, so I broke of a piece and rubbed the gel on my burns. Surprisingly I did not have even one scar from my burns. I have always wondered if it was because of the Aloe Vera. As someone who has been through nursing school,I also knew that a wound needs a moist environment to approximate and heal, minimizing scarring. So I learned a valuable lesson that day. Do not lean your face over a canner when removing lids. Now I hold the lid in front of me like I am a Viking Shield Maiden.