Baking and Canning

Old 11-02-2022, 06:52 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Baking and Canning

I just finished putting up applesauce and setting my sourdough bread, I wondered how many other quilters also do canning and baking.
I have canned fruits and made jams for years and when the pandemic kept us inside, I started some sour dough and have kept it going for almost 2 years now . Bread and sweet rolls are made weekly.
Problem is , all this homemaking takes time away from my quilting! How about you?
Old 11-02-2022, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I bake bread, rolls, and biscuits but don't can anymore. Several ladies I know make jams, relish, and pickles and sell at local farmer's market so I buy theirs. I save the canning jars and take them back each year. I think I make more pizza dough then breads. My grands love pizza after school and are always here hungry. LOL
Old 11-02-2022, 02:21 PM

I like to bake, cookies and such. I live alone so I share them with my neighbor, the PO lady, the guy at the recycling center. I used to make bread when my husband was alive. Never tried sourdough.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:34 PM

I also love to bake. I just dry canned 25 pounds of King Arthur flour for bread for the winter. I'm thinking about trying a few new recipes this winter, a dill bread to go with soups and stews, and focaccia bread. I did only a small batch of applesauce this year, 12 pints. My garden is all done, ready for snow, so everything is canned up, and ready to enjoy for the winter ahead. The only thing I have left to do is I like to freeze apple pie filling for the winter. It is so nice to pull one out in the middle of winter and bake a nice apple pie or crisp.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:48 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
I also love to bake. I just dry canned 25 pounds of King Arthur flour for bread for the winter. I'm thinking about trying a few new recipes this winter, a dill bread to go with soups and stews, and focaccia bread. I did only a small batch of applesauce this year, 12 pints. My garden is all done, ready for snow, so everything is canned up, and ready to enjoy for the winter ahead. The only thing I have left to do is I like to freeze apple pie filling for the winter. It is so nice to pull one out in the middle of winter and bake a nice apple pie or crisp.
what is dry canning flour? With the price of flour going up and up, I too have bought it 25 pounds at a time .
Old 11-02-2022, 10:07 PM

I too, bake our bread & do jams. Many recipes are prepared, portioned & then frozen for meals & snacks. Have done this for years. Have a problem with freezer space sometimes if I do a 14" pie.
sewverybusy
Old 11-03-2022, 01:43 AM

I don't can anything but maple syrup when/if I get it in bulk, and only freeze blueberries that we pick either from our own bushes or a friend's. I don't have a lot of freezer space. I did make two batches of strawberry jam one of which had some sugar that didn't dissolve. So I won't be giving that away as gifts. I would like to make some spiced pear jam for gift giving. And I usually bake a loaf or two of bread every week in winter but not in summer. I have a bread machine which I use only for mixing and the first rise.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I freeze flour for a few days in the package. Then put the package in big canister with screw on lid. It will be good for a year. I have at six five lb bags of it in my pantry at all times. I can't find unbleached flour in the bigger size then 5lb.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:52 AM

I tend to make a number of soups in my 20qt stock pot, split it into 2 - 1/2gal containers and freeze them for later. This year I've started out with 14 1/2 gal containers of soup that I made earlier in the year using stock from the garden and just adding the meat to them. Since acquiring an Instant Pot both in the 3qt and 6qt size, I've been keeping up with making a sweet and tart yogurt just about every other week as it's just me. Plus of course to go with the yogurt, I make a granola to mix in with the sweet yogurt for breakfast. Seasoned crackers using oyster crackers for the soups. Those are also great in salads during the summer time.

Since getting the Instant Pots, also, I've been looking for various desserts I can make using it. I made my very 1st cheesecake in the Instant Pot and it came out great. Cooked up some raspberries from the garden to make a sauce to go over it.

Also, with a over abundance of tomatoes last year, I went to dehydrating them. The cherry and grape tomatoes weer cut in half beforehand and then once dried, placed in a quart canning jar and put into the cabinet for recipes calling for sun dried tomatoes. The larger tomatoes, grounded into a rough powder to add to any tomato sauces that were a little watery once heated up. Sucks up the extra juice right up. The green tomatoes, my sister figured out how to bread them like we do for eggplant parmasean, bake them and then freeze them for later. I'll pull a couple out, throw them into my air fryer for 4-5 minutes and then add some of my yogurt over top of it. I also do this with the eggplant slices but add my marinara sauce and some shredded cheese nuked over for a snack.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

I also can and bake. I usually love it. I have a huge number of green tomatoes waiting make Chowchow. I just need to buy some other veggies to make it up. I have made lots of squash bread and banana bread for the freezer. I gift it during the holidays. I also make jams and jellies.
I am packing up a good portion of my house getting ready for new carpeting soon. The installers are supposed to call us today or tomorrow. I can't get to my canner. Oh dear...
I really hate this. My third cousin came to meet me and brought her three daughters for a few hours in the midst of all of this. It was fun, kind of hard to entertain with the house in disarray. They are here for only a short while; she is a doctor who travels.
Anyway, happy fall everyone. Enjoy your friends and family.