Baking and Canning

Old 12-08-2022, 07:43 AM

That is too funny that anyone would not know that you can can or make cookies!
Old 12-09-2022, 05:45 AM

Wow, SewingSew, that must have been pretty scary! So glad you healed well. Canning lids were hard to find where I live as well (in the Finger Lakes). The Mennonite stores started selling ones they would buy in bulk and repackage to 10 or 20. No brand, but they worked.

When we lived in Syracuse, I had a friend who was shocked that we could easily make things. She'd just never been exposed to anything not packaged from the store... She truly had no idea that you could make something like strawberry jam. For me, a country girl who was in 4H for over 10 years, I was shocked that anyone didn't know, lol
Old 12-09-2022, 06:27 AM

Sewingpup- what kind of flour do you use
Old 12-09-2022, 06:38 AM

I have always loved to cook, can and freeze. Don’t do that much anymore since I am alone, so now I have turned to quilting.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:23 AM

If anyone has an interest in has an interest in making their own bread flour, Amazon sells wheat gluten. You add it to all purpose flour. I usually buy Pillsbury Best. The ratio is something like a teaspoon wheat gluten to a cup of flour. The stuff adds elasticity to your dough. It is also great if you make your own pasta, which I do periodically.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:40 AM

PeaceandJoy, it scared the living daylights out if me. It didn't scare me so much that I stopped canning, but it taught me to pay more attention to safety. That year I canned 36 quarts of tomatoes, applesauce, 2 varieties of chow chow, 36 pints of green beans, pickles, concord grape jam, Apple pie filling, and more, so you'd think I would know better than to get my face too close to the pot. Natural consequences is always the best teacher.