View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 03:56 AM
cgorham

Originally Posted by Burkmum View Post
Using an air/water soluble pen to mark intricate quilting on a wall hanging.,it’s been a few days and ink is still there!! Aaah panicking a tiny bit. I’ve used this method hundreds of times but this time detail quilting is quite dense, also used a high thread count sheet for background (appliqué) . My dilemma: I don’t want to launder this afterwards, it’s a wall hanging. I’ve stopped for now. How do I get this ink out without using soap? Also, has anyone used those pens that erase with heat? I really have to mark a lot on this thing and I have much more to go. Help!!
You asked if anyone has used the pens that erase with heat. Yes, I have. I have actually used them extensively on a number of quilts. Then I read somewhere that the markings can return in very cold conditions.

After reading this, I did a test to see if it was true. I took a piece of light colored fabric and marked on it with several different colors of my heat disappearing pens (Frixion is the brand name I have). I ironed the markings away, then placed the fabric in the freezer for about an hour. When I took it out, lo and behold, the markings were back. They ironed away again, however.

I can only think of a couple of scenarios where markings might come back, but I'm still hesitant to use these markers now. Does anyone have a better solution? I have a client coming in a couple of weeks with a vintage quilt top to be quilted with feathers all over. I normally mark the spines on my feathers. I have had trouble with blue Pounce and other color chalk pens not coming out well in the past. White Pounce comes out, but the background where I'll be doing the feathers is white.
Any suggestions on that one?