Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Help! Disappearing ink will not. >

Help! Disappearing ink will not.

Help! Disappearing ink will not.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:22 AM

Which water soluble pencil/pen is the one where you spritz it with water to make it disappear?
Old 05-11-2020, 09:17 AM

I have used the fading water soluble pens on a couple quilts no problem then I have one, a king size Cathedral Windows that the markings never came out of the border.
I now use the heat pens where you iron out the markings. I have heard that some people have problems with a tale tell marking that remains. To date I have had no problem. I do not use them on white though just out of fear of leaving a residue. On white I have been using Press and Seal. That is a bit bulky for me but it works.
Old 12-09-2022, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Burkmum View Post
Using an air/water soluble pen to mark intricate quilting on a wall hanging.,it’s been a few days and ink is still there!! Aaah panicking a tiny bit. I’ve used this method hundreds of times but this time detail quilting is quite dense, also used a high thread count sheet for background (appliqué) . My dilemma: I don’t want to launder this afterwards, it’s a wall hanging. I’ve stopped for now. How do I get this ink out without using soap? Also, has anyone used those pens that erase with heat? I really have to mark a lot on this thing and I have much more to go. Help!!
You asked if anyone has used the pens that erase with heat. Yes, I have. I have actually used them extensively on a number of quilts. Then I read somewhere that the markings can return in very cold conditions.

After reading this, I did a test to see if it was true. I took a piece of light colored fabric and marked on it with several different colors of my heat disappearing pens (Frixion is the brand name I have). I ironed the markings away, then placed the fabric in the freezer for about an hour. When I took it out, lo and behold, the markings were back. They ironed away again, however.

I can only think of a couple of scenarios where markings might come back, but I'm still hesitant to use these markers now. Does anyone have a better solution? I have a client coming in a couple of weeks with a vintage quilt top to be quilted with feathers all over. I normally mark the spines on my feathers. I have had trouble with blue Pounce and other color chalk pens not coming out well in the past. White Pounce comes out, but the background where I'll be doing the feathers is white.
Any suggestions on that one?
Old 12-09-2022, 05:17 AM

I wouldn't use the heat pens. The manufacturer has said they are not meant for fabric. They have 2 components: The thermal ink, which dissipates with heat, and gel ink, which remains. Many have had them "ghost" after use. On lighter fabrics, typically a light brown line. On darker fabrics, it can show as a white line or as what looks like a grease mark.

Whatever method you use, unless it's a Herra marker, I'd check it with the fabric being used every single time. It seems like every pen out there has occasionally caused problems. I don't know if that's a reaction with the specific fabric or how the fabric was prepared, but to me, it would be worth the inconvenience to avoid a more serious problem later.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I wouldn't use the heat pens. The manufacturer has said they are not meant for fabric. They have 2 components: The thermal ink, which dissipates with heat, and gel ink, which remains. Many have had them "ghost" after use. On lighter fabrics, typically a light brown line. On darker fabrics, it can show as a white line or as what looks like a grease mark.

Whatever method you use, unless it's a Herra marker, I'd check it with the fabric being used every single time. It seems like every pen out there has occasionally caused problems. I don't know if that's a reaction with the specific fabric or how the fabric was prepared, but to me, it would be worth the inconvenience to avoid a more serious problem later.
Thanks for the info, peaceandjoy. And THANK you for reminding me about my Herra marker that I completely forgot about. :-D
Old 12-09-2022, 06:14 AM

The pens that erase with heat DO NOT. The marks return if the quilt is subjected to cold temperatures. I bought heat/erase pens that were supposed to be specifically for quilting. When I tested on a scrap and put it in my freezer, the marks came back. I returned the pens.