View Single Post
Old 12-22-2022, 04:13 AM
WMUTeach

I was probably 4 or 5 when I spent the night with my grandmother seeing the first quilt that I remember. Although this stay was mid-century, she lived in a home reminiscent of late 1800's/early 1900's. There was no electricity, no indoor plumbing, not storm windows, no indoor water. The old farm house was lighted by kerosene lamps and heated by wood stoves in the center of the living room and of course the wood burning range and oven in the kitchen. My grandmother made utilitarian quilts out of feed sacks and the parts of shirts and dresses that were still usable. She even made me a dress out of feed sack fabric. To this day, I still look for that fabric as a reproduction. I have one small block from a quilt that was all triangles. Another family member has the remains of a quilt she made and repaired herself. Several years ago I was asked me to repair it but it was too fragile and precious as it is. I declined. You could see grandma's hand stitches and those she made on her treadle machine. Wonderful memories of a sweet natured, college educated woman who lived in another era and passed on knowledge of the important things of life while just living simply and with a needle in hand and surrounded by books.