View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 06:08 AM
NZquilter

I know this thread is winding down as the new year's swap ramps up, but I just wanted to share that my twins arrived on December 27th, via an emergency C-section. I had gone in that day for my 36 week ultrasound and it was discovered that 1) my preeclampsia numbers was starting to go up, 2) the membrane that separates the two placentas was beginning to split and potentially break all together and 3) Baby B, our son, had growth restrictions from his placenta starting to wear out. They had me in the operating room in just a few hours. Grace Matilda was born at 6:02pm and weighed 5lbs even. Allen James was born at 6:04pm and weighed 4lbs 7oz. Their cries were such a happy sound as I lay on the operating table getting put back together! Since Allen was so small, he was taken to NICU for monitoring, where he unfortunately had to stay for 6 long days. But I was able to hold them both before he was taken away. Grace was allowed to stay with me the whole hospital stay, which I am so grateful for!

Grace and I were discharged after four days and it was heartbreaking leaving Allen behind in NICU. The NICU nurses were pure gold, but leaving was so hard! He came home two days later, and it wasn't until I saw both my babies together again that I felt like I could celebrate their birth. When I look at them together I feel like the luckiest woman ever!

C-section recovery has been way harder than a normal birth recovery, but without the C-section I would have lost both babies in utero and wouldn't have known they had passed until it was too late. We are so blessed to live in a time with modern medical knowledge!