Old 02-05-2023, 06:26 PM
quiltsfor

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
I have used sharpies to do pictures on my grandsons quilt and they did just fine. An if the dots are in the seam out of sight it doesn't matter. My eyes aren't the best now and I like having something I can see.
So very much this! So much easier to see.

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I think I would take some scraps, write on them with a sharpie, let it dry, pour water on it and see what happens, if nothing happens, I think I would put the sharpie scraps into a bag and wash them as you would wash a quilt and dry....see what happens. I know sharpie marker does not stay on some surfaces. I mark my insulin pens with them, it stays on one but not the other. Also I use masking/painter's tap to mark dates on the food I freeze. Sometimes it comes off.
I decided to give it a try. I pulled out some different fabric scraps and marked them. I got them wet, wrung them out,... no change in the markings. Then I washed them all. None of the sharpie markings ran or changed. They look just like they did when I marked the fabric.
To note: these are permanent sharpies, not the water soluble sharpies that they also make.

And if it does happen to fade out through repeated washings, it doesn't matter, at least for my usage, as all I need it for is to match up the seams when putting certain blocks together.