View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 06:18 AM
Snooze2978

I started sewing/quilting in a house with only 2 bedrooms and less than 1,000sf down in Florida. When I moved up to Iowa, I told my realtor my priorities with my sewing room at the top of that list. When I found this house having a basement with 2 rooms and a full bathroom I thought for sure I'd found my dream home. I had another doorway added to the other end of the 2 rooms for air circulation, added a sink in the bay window area and a small kitchenette so I wouldn't have to run upstairs all the time.

Since then I've gone from a 3x4 cutting table to a 4x8, a quilt machine system from an 18"throat with 10ft table to a 26" throat and 12ft table. I have downsized in machines to just 1 each of sergers and embroidery combo machine but I've upgraded on various threads, shelves of fabrics and even enlarged my ironing board to a 2x4 to make it easier to press larger amounts of fabric. Yes, it's a bit tight now but I found by just moving my quilt frame a couple inches this way and that way, it gave me a little more room to get to my embroidery machine without adding bruises to the hips. I've put myself on the "NO FABRIC BUYING" since Nov 2018 and have done very well with that. I still don't have room for all the partial bolts of fabric I bought on a quilt bus tour back in Oct 2018. Hint, hint.............reason for no more buying fabric as I went wild on that bus tour.

I had to move my knitting machine up to the library's closet and nope, have yet to try it out other than putting it together to see how it works. Moved the totes of yarn to another bedroom closet, given away totes of fleece and laces to make room for the fabric under the quilt frame. I lost my sewing mojo for a couple years so didn't use much fabric but now I'm on a roll and getting all those UFOs I'd started back in 2015-2020 done this year.

So no, getting a larger house will just give you the idea you need more "STUFF". I'm just trying to arrange what I have so I can find it easier and use it up quicker.