View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 11:23 AM
Synnove

Originally Posted by sschick View Post
Hello all. I am currently working on a log cabin quilt and am almost finished with all the blocks. I have been quilting for some time, so not a newbie, but one thing I have never been certain of is when to square a quilt up. I have watched YouTube videos and most do square it up after quilting.
My issue is not being consistent with the blocks. I used jelly rolls for the strips. I do have a quarter inch presser foot and checked to make sure my seam allowances are correct, but I fear the blocks still won't be the same size or not square before sewing the rows.
My thoughts were to square it up when I sew each row as I go. I will also be putting a border so it will need to be as square as possible. Is this a good idea to square as I go? I have yet to make a perfectly square quilt. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Shari
I square up each block, then again square up the entire quilt top once it's together. I've had a lot less rippling of borders and binding this way, especially since I began squaring up each block.