Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to Square Up a Quilt >

When to Square Up a Quilt

When to Square Up a Quilt

Old 03-04-2023, 09:37 AM

Another squarer-upper of blocks. Mark where you're squaring to on your ruler with a couple tiny pieces of masking tape. Put on your favorite hour-long tv show and I promise, you'll have all your blocks squared up by the time the show is over.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:17 AM

I square blocks as I go. Once everything is sewed together, I check all the corners of the quilt that they are square with my 22.5" square ruler. It helps to have a long run on either side of the square but I can't say for certain that all my quilts are exactly square. Only by folding them in careful halves does that show. I do staystitch the edge before quilting and tend to use bias cut binding which is very forgiving. Nobody has ever complained to tell me that a quilt is not square.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by sschick View Post
Hello all. I am currently working on a log cabin quilt and am almost finished with all the blocks. I have been quilting for some time, so not a newbie, but one thing I have never been certain of is when to square a quilt up. I have watched YouTube videos and most do square it up after quilting.
My issue is not being consistent with the blocks. I used jelly rolls for the strips. I do have a quarter inch presser foot and checked to make sure my seam allowances are correct, but I fear the blocks still won't be the same size or not square before sewing the rows.
My thoughts were to square it up when I sew each row as I go. I will also be putting a border so it will need to be as square as possible. Is this a good idea to square as I go? I have yet to make a perfectly square quilt. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Shari
I square up each block, then again square up the entire quilt top once it's together. I've had a lot less rippling of borders and binding this way, especially since I began squaring up each block.