View Single Post
Old 06-03-2023, 02:02 PM
GingerK

MawMawB, I remember 'helping' my mom remake wool quilts when I was a child (I'm 70+). Growing up, we did not have 'quilted' quilts. They were made from wool batting and ticking fabric which was tied. They always had a cover of sorts--like the present-day duvets. The covers were removed for laundering. Eventually the ticking had to be replaced.

I don't remember if the wool was washed but I do remember the clumps of the stuff. We borrowed a carding machine from our church. It was a round drum about 8-10 inches in diameter with teeth all the way around. I was 'allowed' to turn the handle. When the wool batt filled the teeth, it was cut and peeled off the teeth. The new ticking was put on a quilting frame, the carded batts of wool were added, then another layer of ticking and the quilt was again tied. I don't remember how the edges were finished.

As an added note--I still have the wedding quilt that my Mom made for me--and it is exactly what I described above. Those suckers were made to last! I have been married 50+ years.