Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions on how to restore this? >

Suggestions on how to restore this?

Suggestions on how to restore this?

Old 06-02-2023, 12:16 PM

Default Suggestions on how to restore this?

My SIL has a quilt made by her great grandma. It’s all hand pieces and hand quilted. She sent some pictures of the quilt and some areas that need fixing. It’s a double wedding ring quilt. Do any of you have suggestions on how she should go about fixing this? Or if this is something I could fix? If so, how would you go about fixing this? She also says the batting is coming out in pieces, like maybe it wasn’t a full piece of batting used in the quilt? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:46 PM

It depends - how many pieces are in poor condition? Is it just a few, or is it worn all over? I have fixed several like this, using vintage fabric - blind stitch a piece over the bad piece, adding some cotton batting if needed, reproduce the quilting by quilting through the top and batting, not the backing.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

You can cut 80/20 cotton batting into the shape that is missing and hand stitch it in place. The missing fabric pieces can be hand appliquéd into place. Use the wrong side of replacement fabrics so the blend with the old pieces better.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:54 AM

Isn't it amazing how if you are a quilter or seamstress, some think you can work magic with sewing. That looks like a challenge, but am sure you will make it look great again. Good luck and be sure to show a pix when done.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:14 AM

Years ago, batting was made differently than it is now, and it would sometimes bunch up in places or get very thin if the quilting was not close enough or as in your case I think, the original quilting had just come undone. You can still get batting that need needs to be quilted very closely to maintain its original thickness. I prefer using the batting that can be quilted further apart. The package will say how close to quilt.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:05 AM

Sometimes batting as we know it was not what was used. My mom took one of our old quilts apart to put a new binding on it and discovered that there was a blanket inside. She said that back in the day, they also used a different type of "batting". It wasn't like what we used to day and would come apart and bunch up especially when washed in a washing machine. My mom told me that back in the day, they rarely washed quilts. They just put them outside and aired them and spot cleaned as needed.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

LC, the issue for me would be how much or little is damaged. A few spots? No problem. But if it's overall the way the pictures show I think it would be a daunting task.
How wonderful though, that she has it!
Old 06-03-2023, 09:45 AM

I have several quilts made with cotton out of bolls that were picked and cleaned by hand. After seeds are pulled out, the cotton fibers are carded with paddles that have metal teeth. You'd rub the two paddles together with the cotton between them. The cotton then could be put into quilts. This is how my grandmother's age group probably made their quilts. I am 75 years old and I have actually seen them doing this. Aren't we lucky that we can go to the store or order batting now?
Old 06-03-2023, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by MawMaw B View Post
I have several quilts made with cotton out of bolls that were picked and cleaned by hand. After seeds are pulled out, the cotton fibers are carded with paddles that have metal teeth. You'd rub the two paddles together with the cotton between them. The cotton then could be put into quilts. This is how my grandmother's age group probably made their quilts. I am 75 years old and I have actually seen them doing this. Aren't we lucky that we can go to the store or order batting now?
MawMaw, I'd forgotten about that. I remember someone telling me about carding cotton. I'm sure that was what was in one of the old ones my mom had.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

I think I would look at the overall condition of the quilt before deciding what to do next.

Sometimes people cut out the "better" portions of a quilt and frame it or make a stuffed animal or something out of it.

There are times when an item has given long and faithful service, and it should be "retired" - also known as discarded.