View Single Post
Old 08-01-2023, 06:35 AM
mopec

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I've been researching cake recipes all week, hoping to find that perfect cake for the county fair. I had to laugh though, when this food blogger went on and on about how her recipe had been handed down through her ancestors for many generations and originated in Germany. She even explained that you have to use only the finest chocolate from Germany. She went through an entire page waxing the poetic.

:::sigh:::

If she only knew that German Chocolate cake didn't originate in Germany. It was originally called, "German's Chocolate Cake," because the German's Chocolate Company, (a subsiderary of Baker's Chocolate, an American enterprise,) created the recipe and put it on the back of their packaging, hoping that it would help sell more of the chocolate...and it did! It was also distributed in newspapers and magazines. The recipe was created by Mrs. George Clay, a native Texan, in 1957. There are other chocolate cakes of German origin, but not the classic German Chocolate Cake. It's American through and through. It has a very distinctive flavor that is not the same as a devil's food, or other chocolate cake. To this day, it is one of my favorite cakes.
and the chocolate was created for the Baker Company by Sam German thus the name. I had discovered this within the last year. Can't always trust these "old family recipes" but probably a good recipe.