Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
German Chocolate Cake Isn't From Germany >

German Chocolate Cake Isn't From Germany

German Chocolate Cake Isn't From Germany

Old 07-31-2023, 12:12 PM

Default German Chocolate Cake Isn't From Germany

I've been researching cake recipes all week, hoping to find that perfect cake for the county fair. I had to laugh though, when this food blogger went on and on about how her recipe had been handed down through her ancestors for many generations and originated in Germany. She even explained that you have to use only the finest chocolate from Germany. She went through an entire page waxing the poetic.

:::sigh:::

If she only knew that German Chocolate cake didn't originate in Germany. It was originally called, "German's Chocolate Cake," because the German's Chocolate Company, (a subsiderary of Baker's Chocolate, an American enterprise,) created the recipe and put it on the back of their packaging, hoping that it would help sell more of the chocolate...and it did! It was also distributed in newspapers and magazines. The recipe was created by Mrs. George Clay, a native Texan, in 1957. There are other chocolate cakes of German origin, but not the classic German Chocolate Cake. It's American through and through. It has a very distinctive flavor that is not the same as a devil's food, or other chocolate cake. To this day, it is one of my favorite cakes.

Last edited by tropit; 07-31-2023 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:46 PM

funny, i never thought of it being "German", just german chocolate cake... names.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:19 AM

I love German Chocolate Cake and even made it for my birthday yesterday. But I have always known that it can't be German in origin because coconuts don't grow in Germany! Not sure if pecans do either. Still, I love the topping/icing.
Old 08-01-2023, 03:02 AM

You had my attention at "chocolate"!
Old 08-01-2023, 03:53 AM

It's a favorite!

Please pass me a slice... or two.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I've been researching cake recipes all week, hoping to find that perfect cake for the county fair. I had to laugh though, when this food blogger went on and on about how her recipe had been handed down through her ancestors for many generations and originated in Germany. She even explained that you have to use only the finest chocolate from Germany. She went through an entire page waxing the poetic.

:::sigh:::

If she only knew that German Chocolate cake didn't originate in Germany. It was originally called, "German's Chocolate Cake," because the German's Chocolate Company, (a subsiderary of Baker's Chocolate, an American enterprise,) created the recipe and put it on the back of their packaging, hoping that it would help sell more of the chocolate...and it did! It was also distributed in newspapers and magazines. The recipe was created by Mrs. George Clay, a native Texan, in 1957. There are other chocolate cakes of German origin, but not the classic German Chocolate Cake. It's American through and through. It has a very distinctive flavor that is not the same as a devil's food, or other chocolate cake. To this day, it is one of my favorite cakes.
and the chocolate was created for the Baker Company by Sam German thus the name. I had discovered this within the last year. Can't always trust these "old family recipes" but probably a good recipe.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I love German Chocolate Cake and even made it for my birthday yesterday. But I have always known that it can't be German in origin because coconuts don't grow in Germany! Not sure if pecans do either. Still, I love the topping/icing.
It has been years since I made it, but for sure the cake takes a backseat to the topping/icing 😃
Old 08-01-2023, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Just give me a bowl of the frosting and I'm happy. Daughter in law periodically sends me a container of her special chocolate frosting made from scratch that her mother used to make. Frosting on a spoon. Yum.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Just give me a bowl of the frosting and I'm happy. Daughter in law periodically sends me a container of her special chocolate frosting made from scratch that her mother used to make. Frosting on a spoon. Yum.
I have some left over and think it might be good as a topping for ice cream...