View Single Post
Old 09-21-2023, 03:08 PM
tropit

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Random thoughts -- SusieQOH, don't know if this is something you are familiar with butcommon here and never seen in Seattle is Italian Beef. Thin strips of beef sort of like a Philly Cheesesteak but served with au jus.

Tropit -- my paternal grandparents were both from North Dakota, the Dickinson area. Their family background was as Czech peasants brought over to farm the great barrens of America. I'm not sure if they were both born before immigrating with their parents, I think my grandmother was 3?? when they arrived. My dad was in the army and so I grew up all over and mostly distant from all of my grandparents but I remember various dishes -- few of which my mother cooked coming from a different background.

When hubby went back to get his truck, he came through South Dakota and tried Chislic, the state snack of South Dakota. Again, many variations but think chunks of seasoned meat like shish kabobs (with or without skewers)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chislic
Crazy! I remember that we talked about our ancestors a few years back. My great grandfather and his Czech wife helped to start the town of Casselton, ND. They were homesteaders and had a wheat farm and a blacksmith shop there. He died young, so she sold off the farm and moved to the Seattle and Spokane areas. We must be related somehow.