Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Not exactly recipes -- but regional food >

Not exactly recipes -- but regional food

Not exactly recipes -- but regional food

Old 09-27-2023, 02:33 AM

We had stuffed baked potatoes this week. That is a potato fixed with with what you like: butter, grated cheese, bacon bits, sour cream. Then, it is topped with a mound of chopped smoked brisket. One of my favorites. I first had one when working in a tiny town called Alamo, TX. I wonder if Willie B's is still opened...
Old 09-27-2023, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

My relatives made fried dough. When coming out of the oven you roll it in sugar. Heavenly!!
My Mom didn't make it though. She didn't think it was healthy. She was way ahead of her time in the nutrition department!
Old 12-09-2023, 02:16 AM

[QUOTE=GingerK;8617953]I grew up in central Canada (just think north of the Dakotas) and in a German farming community. My mom and dad were both first generation Canadians.

The third is Ruhl Kuhchen--a rich, but not sweet dough made with 'top cream' (the cream that rises to the top of fresh milk after it sits for a while)It was rolled out and cut into rectangles (sometimes a slit would be cut down the middle and one end would be pulled through to make it 'fancy') and deep fried. Always served with watermelon in my family, but also with rhubarb sauce or Roger's Golden Syrup.

I remember my paternal grandmother (German) making these and I never knew what they were called to find a recipe. Thanks so much for sparking that memory. I hope when I make them it’s as good as my memory.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:24 AM

I should mention that during the rainy season (like right now) we have fresh Chanterelles. Saute those up with some wine, butter and garlic...yummm! Other goodies that we have locally are oysters and Dungenes crab, plucked fresh from the wild ocean.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:17 AM

I have lived in Michigan all my life and never heard of a horseshoe sandwich. The sandwich that Ice Blossom described as something like a Philly Cheese Stake with out the cheese in my neck of the woods is called a French Dipped sandwich and at least here in the mitten state is commonly on the menu of casual resturants and in site that offer "bar food". They will often have golden pan seared onions and a slice of white cheddar cheese. Quite yummy when dipped in the Au Jus.

Pasties are common in Michigan but like all food with an ethnic origin, they are not "real" pasties unless you find them in a mom and pop restaurant in the UP where they were working man food a couple of generations back.

The first things that came to mind when you mentioned mid-west food was fresh orchard fruit, berries in season, corn by the bushel and jello. Jello is often the companion of a covered dish! Tee-Hee-Hee. But with the ease of purchasing foods of all types, I think we are losing our regional flavors. I live in a college town and we have a generous variety of foods in grocery stores, restaurants, specialty food stores and of course our many farmer's markets . We can eat or cook internationally with ease.

Could it be you are seeking tomatillos out of season? I have seen them at my local farmer's market for a number of years now.

Interesting thread. Made me think a bit.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:40 AM

Are your pasties a hand pie of some sort?