Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Not exactly recipes -- but regional food >

Not exactly recipes -- but regional food

Not exactly recipes -- but regional food

Old 09-23-2023, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
lol I thought before I planted any, I should make sure I like the fruits!
I ordered a Sassafras tree to plant after reading Grandma Gatewood's Walk by Ben Montgomery. I was surprised about all the positive things about that tree that I didn't know about before. It should get here today.

I also started quilting after reading The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini. Books change my life for the better.
Old 09-24-2023, 04:23 AM

When I visited Florida, my friend ordered Shrimp Grits. I was thinking, "Eww, shrimp in cream of wheat!" Wish I had ordered it! It tasted amazing and nothing like a breakfast cereal.
My friend is a chef and a foodie! I had my first Reuben sandwich during my visit. Everything was homemade and top shelf! The restaurant chef came out and visited with us! That was a first!
Old 09-24-2023, 08:25 AM

Scrapple! I was going t mention that one too. We just had a veggie version of that yesterday for breakfast. My grandmother used to make it with cooked, shredded pork and sometimes sausage, fried in butter and covered in maple syrup. OMG! A heart attrack and heaven on the same plate.
Old 09-24-2023, 08:53 AM

I like scrapple and headcheese and various sausages. And spam at least once a year.

We did live in Georgia for a couple of years in the early-mid 60s. I am more familiar with "corn meal mush" rather than grits or polenta, but overall they are very similar other than some differences in the grind and/or type of corn or seasonings (sweet or savory??). With school lunches everyday there were hush puppies, not something I find myself craving.

One of my favorite pantry (that is, no fresh) breakfasts is fried spam and cornmeal mush served with maple syrup. You make the mush the night before and cool in a bread pan, then make slices the same size/shape as your spam slices and fry both until a nice crisp on the outside.

In general, I like all the hot grain breakfast cereals -- Maypo or Ralston or Cream of Wheat (or rice) or just rice with milk, oatmeal is just fine. For cold breakfast cereals, I liked Buc Wheats but those are no more.

Is hard for younger people like my son to understand when many of us were young, there simply weren't the fast food options there are today and that some things they take for granted were once exotic. Like pizza! That was ethnic food before Shakey's and Pizza Hut came along...
Old 09-24-2023, 10:53 AM

So enjoying this thread! Born and raised in Minnesota, and probably have the softest, narrowest palate. Salt and pepper are spices, and ketchup can be a hot sauce. My mom made beef goulash. Elbow macaroni, diced tomatoes, sauce and hamburger. Hamburger hot dish is ground beef, celery, onions, and a can of chicken noodle soup. Steak was a rarity, and only fried. She refused to serve/eat oatmeal, because she said that's all she ate for years growing up. Chicken came in a can. Pea salad is ring macaroni, peas, and miracle whip, with cubed cheese in it. There are a few tuna creations she came up with during lent that are best left forgotten. Peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches were a staple. Tomato soup was always made with water, and you'd better double the water! Growing up with 9 kids was tough sometimes!

Luckily, Ive expanded my choices and food experiences. Took many years, and lots of kitchen failures!
Old 09-25-2023, 04:51 AM

Cincinnati has something called Goetta. It's a ground meat and oatmeal combination formed into a loaf then sliced and fried. I've seen it on menus as breakfast, in sandwiches and even on pizza. Natives love it but, in 30 years of living here, I've never tried it.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:34 AM

For me growing up in CA, it's real nachos. Those fake nachos that are so popular now, with that slimey cheese sauce, drive me crazy. The real deal with several kinds of fresh, grated, melted cheese, charred meat, fresh jalapenos, fresh guac and tons of other goodies on homemade tortilla chips is pure heaven. The Mexicans did not invent Velveta...Kraft Foods did.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I ordered a Sassafras tree to plant after reading Grandma Gatewood's Walk by Ben Montgomery. I was surprised about all the positive things about that tree that I didn't know about before. It should get here today.

I also started quilting after reading The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini. Books change my life for the better.
i just googled the Sassafras but it wouldn’t grow here, but saw some negative things about it as well as the positives.
Here is a copy and paste of one of the articles.

Is sassafras legal in Canada?

It is important to note that dried Sassafras bark which is found in some health-food stores should be used with caution if at all as it contains Safrole which is a carcinogenic item and is banned in the USA and Canada. Wild Turkeys, squirrels, black bears and foxes all feed on the fruit of Sassafras.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
i just googled the Sassafras but it wouldn’t grow here, but saw some negative things about it as well as the positives.
Here is a copy and paste of one of the articles.

Is sassafras legal in Canada?

It is important to note that dried Sassafras bark which is found in some health-food stores should be used with caution if at all as it contains Safrole which is a carcinogenic item and is banned in the USA and Canada. Wild Turkeys, squirrels, black bears and foxes all feed on the fruit of Sassafras.
Since I'm not planning on eating the tree, I'm exicited to have all of the positive things about the tree in my yard. LOL!
Old 09-26-2023, 05:23 PM

Aebelkag (Apple cake)
The women in my family kept a cake pan in the oven and it’s where stale bread landed. When the oven was preheating for other things, the bread got toasted with no real effort. Eventually there was enough to crush it with a rolling pin to make bread crumbs. A little sugar and melted butter was added to make a loose crust on a big platter. Next layer is applesauce topped with real whipped cream. Platter is passed around the table for everyone to help themselves. It’s best eaten that day so platter gets passed a second time. Try as I might, I can’t make it taste like Mom & Grandma made.