View Single Post
Old 01-04-2024, 05:45 PM
quiltsfor

I agree with the above posters. If you want to make a quilt with orange peels (it's called orange peels, by the way, because a lot of people cut their oranges into quarters and eat a quarter, pulling off the peel as they go. The left over peel from the quartered orange is this shape! -- my kids used to call it an orange smile as they would put the quartered peel in their mouth over their teeth and then smile! )

Anyhow, I digress... If you want to make a quilt with orange peels and do the straight stitch around like she did, but want it to be a quilt that will last --- then put a back on each peel, by matching right sides together (of the front and back piece - Note: you can even use fusible interfacing for the back piece), then make a small slit in the back and turn the piece right side out, press it, then sew the orange peel onto the block with the straight stitch. (if you use fusible for the back piece, you can just iron it on to hold it in place and then do a straight stitch around the edges like she did.) You'll never know you put the back piece on especially if you make it the same fabric or iron it carefully before sewing it down.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-04-2024 at 05:51 PM.