Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your thoughts on this quilt video >

Your thoughts on this quilt video

Your thoughts on this quilt video

Old 01-04-2024, 03:27 PM

Default Your thoughts on this quilt video

This quilt cought my eye. However, she made this using raw edge to attach orange peels. I wish she showed what quilt looked like after being washed. She opted to use straight stitch and no bottom fabric to turn inside out to eliminate raw edge. I know using a blanket stitch would help a lot with raw edge, but how much it would help is yet to be seen. And as she stated, takes a lot longer to do.

Have you had any experience with making a quilt like this using raw edge. What are your thoughts. Do you have any pictures of it after multiple washings?

Here is video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0VU...crapFabricLove

Last edited by Schill93; 01-04-2024 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:02 PM

I honestly would not waste my time or fabric on making it the way the youtube suggests, unless it was a wall hanging. It is beautiful and I can see why it caught your eye. But I do not think it would stand up to the day to day wear and tear of a well loved quilt. I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to say.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:40 PM

I agree with GingerK. Too much time and fabric wasted when the quilt begins to come unstitched from use or washing. Most folks don't know how to wash quilts and they can stress out the straight stitch along the edge. They either wash them too often or never! I might try it with a really close zig-zag so it looks almost like a satin stitch. Have you considered giving it a try on a pillow nor table runner then make a decision about a whole quilt?
Old 01-04-2024, 05:45 PM

I agree with the above posters. If you want to make a quilt with orange peels (it's called orange peels, by the way, because a lot of people cut their oranges into quarters and eat a quarter, pulling off the peel as they go. The left over peel from the quartered orange is this shape! -- my kids used to call it an orange smile as they would put the quartered peel in their mouth over their teeth and then smile! )

Anyhow, I digress... If you want to make a quilt with orange peels and do the straight stitch around like she did, but want it to be a quilt that will last --- then put a back on each peel, by matching right sides together (of the front and back piece - Note: you can even use fusible interfacing for the back piece), then make a small slit in the back and turn the piece right side out, press it, then sew the orange peel onto the block with the straight stitch. (if you use fusible for the back piece, you can just iron it on to hold it in place and then do a straight stitch around the edges like she did.) You'll never know you put the back piece on especially if you make it the same fabric or iron it carefully before sewing it down.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-04-2024 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:42 PM

I think it would turn out very similar to a rag quilt, and a charming one at that. I'd probably shorten my stitch length and be fairly generous with the seam allowance.

There's a woman named Kellie Wulfson in Australia, she used to have a wonderful blog called "Don't Look Now" but I think she shut it down when she opened a quilt shop. Anyway. She made the most beautiful applique quilts and they were all raw-edge straight-stitch applique. She used a shorter stitch length and went around each piece twice. These were quilts made for her 4 children, so they were used and washed.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:43 PM
Power Poster

I do raw edge applique. I have washed those quilts many times and the edges are soft. Not one has come unstitched. And if it did, easy to resew around it.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:31 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I do raw edge applique. I have washed those quilts many times and the edges are soft. Not one has come unstitched. And if it did, easy to resew around it.
How close to the edge did you sew? Was it a straight stitch close to the edge (1/8th " from edge) or a blanket stitch, or blind hem stitch. I recall seeing one several years back on you tube I think. Can't for the life of me find it now. But I remember thinking it was cute. It may have had a wider hem around it though. Or maybe I just dreamt it.

Did you use any sort of fusible interfacing on back of your applique piece to streangthen it, or just apply it like she did in the video?

Last edited by Schill93; 01-05-2024 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I use a 1/8 inch left compensating foot and one click passed the 2 stitch length. I use straight stitch. My machine is TL Juki 2010q The foot is amazing. Every stitch is exactly the same from the edge. . I glue baste the applique to the background so it won't shift or bunch.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:48 AM

I don't know where to start! I would need to satin stitch after sewing around pieces. And I would use interfacing to make them stiffer. I also don't pre-cut additions.
I reverse draw the applique on back of main fabric, and cover each area on the front with appropriate fabric to outline/stitch. On the front, I trim close to stitching. Satin stitch at the end. I also use newspaper under area when satin stitching. It seems to help with smoothness. This is my example.
Attached Thumbnails seahorse2.jpg  
Old 01-05-2024, 06:52 AM

Preface by saying I didn't watch the video, but I've done this on leader ender quilts. In the photo attached you can see what well washed looks like, the red square with blue surround., Because they are both cut on the bias they don't unravel, just softly fray. I use a zigzag on the losenges quilt that tacks back and forth on the cut so it barely fluffs. I'd show a photo of it but I buried my little doxies in it last fall.

I recommend the process for fun quilts.
I guess it doesn't show much on the losenge quilt, but all the corners on each block are stitched this way. Then I trimmed off the back triangle.

I also did it on a bullseye quilt with three stacked heart shapes using one of my fancy stitches just inside the fabric, it frayed up softly and is a favorite quilt, but again, it is all bias so the technique works well.
Attached Thumbnails strings-steroids-backed-losenges-buried-boys.jpg   bonnie-leader-ender-losenges-2016.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 01-05-2024 at 06:57 AM.