Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your thoughts on this quilt video >

Your thoughts on this quilt video

Your thoughts on this quilt video

Old 01-05-2024, 06:58 AM

Raggedy Hearts quilt, washed many times. the sashing was snowballed/covered corners that way too, no fooling around with drawing lines
Attached Thumbnails raggedy-hearts1.jpg  
Old 01-05-2024, 07:18 AM

KalamaQuilts, that's a very pretty quilt!
Old 01-05-2024, 07:26 AM

Interesting way to use denim. I wouldn't do it raw edge. I'd use the stitch onto fusible interfacing (Pellon 911FF) and turn under, using the fusible side to the fabric on top. The edges would be turned and the top pieces of orange would be fused to the interfacing. Then I would applique the oranges on with my machine in a straight stitch. I really like the two orange approach per block.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Raggedy Hearts quilt, washed many times. the sashing was snowballed/covered corners that way too, no fooling around with drawing lines
Ok that one might have to go on my bucket list, so pretty!
Old 01-05-2024, 07:16 PM

I made a "French Rose" quilt that was raw edged. It was layered and as you added the layers, you cut out from the back some of the previous layer. After a bit, the layers frayed a bit giving a soft look. I rather like it. It was fun to do and if you just do a search for "French Rose quilt" Some photos will pop up. I think I remember stitching around it twice with a straight stitch
Old 01-05-2024, 11:17 PM

Some adorable quilts shown here, and some great input. So I figured I'd compromise today and cut out some orange peels, and 6 1/2" square background blocks, and after much trial and error made one whole flower using 4 blocks together that I glued and then sewed around the peels with a very small zig zag resempling a saten stitch. this doesn't come easy for me, and even with a regular zig zag I have trouble keeping it properly lined up. So you can imagine how long it took me to make these? I'm wondering now if making turn edged peels would be any quicker.

I have to say though. This is one pretty block
Old 01-06-2024, 08:39 AM

Hang on.... if you're gluing them, how are you having trouble keeping it lined up? I'm missing something....
Old 01-06-2024, 02:14 PM

No, the glueing just keeps the peels in place while sewing. That works fine. It's keeping that tiny tight stitch on the edge of the peel that I'm having problems with. I have to go so slow to keep it on the edge, and my old eyes have a hard time staying focused so long. It takes a lot more skill doing this long term than just mastering 1/4" seams.

By the way Peckish, I did find Kellie Wulfson on line, but unfortunately I did't see any quilts made this way.

Last edited by Schill93; 01-06-2024 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
By the way Peckish, I did find Kellie Wulfson on line, but unfortunately I did't see any quilts made this way.
Yeah, she's taken her blog, with all her pictures, down completely, I believe. But you can see closeups of her technique here and here (on the last picture, click to enlarge it for better detail.)

Last edited by Peckish; 01-06-2024 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:24 PM

I take it back - she hasn't taken her blog down. It's here: https://dontlooknow.typepad.com/dont_look_now/

and one of her quilts describing her version of applique: https://dontlooknow.typepad.com/phot...eart-pink.html