Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your thoughts on this quilt video >

Your thoughts on this quilt video

Your thoughts on this quilt video

Old 01-07-2024, 01:04 AM

I was intrigued with the denim/orange peel quilt.Thank you Schill93 for posting the link to her video. I especially liked her ida and method of layering the petals. I watched the video and was also curious about her quilt as you go method so I found and watched her video on how she went about that. It is a second video and at the end she shows the completed quilt. I liked it very much and her final quilt was beautiful. Since I have an orange peel quilt on my "to do this year" list because I have a stack of leftover orange peels already to stitch down, I think I will try her method of quilt as you go. I will also add peels to my leftovers as they are black and white only fabric and some color would be good. My method is to use wonder under or heat and bond on the fabric and adhere to the background before appliqueing down. I do like the denim even though I have none in my stash, might have to bend my no more fabric purchases rule. lol.
here is a link to her second video with QAYG and the finished quilt. You can fast forward to the end to see the final quilt at the end.
Murphy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKFQIikWSiU
Old 01-07-2024, 03:42 AM

Thanks, Murphy, for the video. I fast forwarded through and love the look of the double peels. Some are made of "crumbs" and some are just solid pieces. Also, using the denim makes for an interesting background colorwise. Bet that's a heavy quilt. I love hand appliqueing orange peels and have made 3 baby-sized quilts of them.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:23 AM

I just watched her quilts in 2023 review. She showed how she will need to do repairs after washing this quilt. I tried taking pictures during the review so added them here. I was afraid of raw edge Applique doing this after so much work, so when I made my jellybean quilt I lined the jellybean with a muslin fabric right sides together, cut a small slit and turned, pressed and then straight stitched onto my background. It’s holding up well.

Attached Thumbnails img_1637.jpeg   img_1636.jpeg  
Old 01-14-2024, 08:33 AM

There is nothing wrong with raw edge appliqué, IF you use a shorter and/or denser stitch to prevent complete and uncontrolled fraying. And most raw edge folks use something like Steam A Seam 2 under the piece to ensure that fraying is limited.

I love the look of a bit of fray around the edge of raw edge appliqué. It is folksy and charming, and kids love the soft texture of the edges. Orange peel would be adorable done this way!