Old 01-19-2024, 07:06 AM
sewingpup

I can't find any difference between quilting open or pressed to one side seams when I get to the quilting stage, nor can I feel any difference once the quilting is done in the feel. I do notice that my seams are neater and properly joined when I press to the side. I love nesting seams. I don't like pinning at all and I have to carefully pin when pressing open. So, yep, I chose the easy route for me and press to the side. Maybe I am too old to learn new ways. The first time I heard open seams really emphasized when I was in a modern quilt guild. Otherwise, it was rare to hear about except for some quilts where there was multiple points coming together in a seam and then it was suggested to press open to reduce the bulk which I have done. Over the years I have seen quilts where threads were holding the seam together because the seams were pressed opened. I don't like that look. The tensions on the machine probably had been too loose allowing the seam to open that way. So, I will press open when I think it is a good idea, otherwise, I am a press to one side person.