View Single Post
Old 02-08-2024, 06:23 PM
ElaineCovid

Default Guild Library question

Hello Everyone,
Looking for some feedback on other guild's experiences with libraries (within the guild).

Background:
Our local public libraries have very few if any books related to quilting, certainly nothing new or other than a basic "How to Quilt" type of book..
Our local guild has a lending library for members, and they recently purged many books, some of which were quite dated and needed to go. The remaining books are less than half what was there previously. We used to have a listing of what books were there to borrow and when I couldn't find it in either my email or on the guild website, I asked about a particular book. I was told that I was the first person since September who had even asked about a book and that with everything available on line and free there just wasn't any interest in the physical library the guild has.... that is very disappointing to me as I have previously used this resource a lot. There is talk among the executive apparently to discontinue it entirely.

After we began to meet in person following Covid, our guild decided (arbitrarily not by vote) to limit our in person meetings to Sept - Dec and April - June as the "winter" months make it difficult to get together.... while I personally do not think that is true, I understand that this also gives us a chance to see other guest speakers via Zoom (Jan - Mar) that we wouldn't be able to see in person. I do think this altered meeting plan has affected the library as much as it has affected our comfort (charity) quilt programs...

How does your guild manage their library? Do you have one? Does it include things like specialty rulers?

Any and all feedback is welcome!