Guild Library question

Old 02-08-2024, 06:23 PM

Default Guild Library question

Hello Everyone,
Looking for some feedback on other guild's experiences with libraries (within the guild).

Background:
Our local public libraries have very few if any books related to quilting, certainly nothing new or other than a basic "How to Quilt" type of book..
Our local guild has a lending library for members, and they recently purged many books, some of which were quite dated and needed to go. The remaining books are less than half what was there previously. We used to have a listing of what books were there to borrow and when I couldn't find it in either my email or on the guild website, I asked about a particular book. I was told that I was the first person since September who had even asked about a book and that with everything available on line and free there just wasn't any interest in the physical library the guild has.... that is very disappointing to me as I have previously used this resource a lot. There is talk among the executive apparently to discontinue it entirely.

After we began to meet in person following Covid, our guild decided (arbitrarily not by vote) to limit our in person meetings to Sept - Dec and April - June as the "winter" months make it difficult to get together.... while I personally do not think that is true, I understand that this also gives us a chance to see other guest speakers via Zoom (Jan - Mar) that we wouldn't be able to see in person. I do think this altered meeting plan has affected the library as much as it has affected our comfort (charity) quilt programs...

How does your guild manage their library? Do you have one? Does it include things like specialty rulers?

Any and all feedback is welcome!
Old 02-08-2024, 10:44 PM
Power Poster

My guild did have a library, but then it was discontinued because it was so seldom used.

I do have my own library of around 300 quilt books. I should attempt to pare it down since my needs and interests have changed over the years.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:53 AM

My guild meets in a church hall. The guild used to store the library at the church, but was recently told they couldn't do that anymore as the church needed the room. Guild members were asked to vote on whether to move to a different location for our meetings or eliminate the library. The members devoted to eliminate the library. Like Dunster, I have also amassed a large collection of quilt books, most of which I never refer to because so much information is available online.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:53 AM

Our guild also has a library. I think if it were not for the fact that we have a lockable library cabinet at our meeting place, we would have discontinued the library. It is seldom used to the point our last challenge was to make a quilt based on a pattern in one of the library books the guild owns. These quilts were to be used for Community quilts and there were 15 made for the challenge. It forced people to actually look through the library books and hopefully renew an interest in using those books afterwards. Like your local library ElaineCovid, my town library has very few quilting books.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

My guild does not have the storage to keep a library. We have a free table and we get lots of quilt books donated sometimes by the box full. They are seldom taken.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:10 AM

I belong to two guilds and both have discontinued their libraries--one from lack of interest and the other because of a change in venue which did not allow for storage of guild material. The biggest problem with both libraries was that many of the books were dated and new books are very very expensive.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I don't belong to a guild but I used to have a ton of books. I realized I never used them anymore and they took up a lot of space in my sewing room. I started quilting before the internet so things were quite different. I haven't bought a new quilting book in years.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:39 AM

Again, have seen the loss of storage space and lack of interest in physical books.

The nature of quilting has changed and the nature of books has changed as well. If I'm browsing looking for ideas, I browse the internet (or just this forum..).

At one point I had a full bookcase of quilting books and I realized that most of them I was never going to ever use again. I'd have to look but when I moved, I moved ess than 20 books. Some of these because of various resources or exploring specific styles or ideas. Some because they are personal favorites, even if my Judy Martin Log Cabin book was before the rotary revolution and includes templates for log cabin logs... it still has great images for various settings (which I've also found a good website for).
Old 02-09-2024, 06:00 AM

I think quilt books will fall the way of the phone book. The internet changed the world! Or should I say Google! No need to riffle through books anymore. I have never bought a book, but I have may that were given to me. Don't use them, but love the person that gave them to me!
Old 02-09-2024, 06:09 AM

when I began to lose my sight I sold a lot of my books and donated 2 grocery sacks full to the library, there weren't older books, all from 2000 and newer. The ones from the 70s to 2K were long gone. Only 3 are in the livrary, the rest went to the library sales. There just isn't any call for them.
There are a few that still demand good prices and should go to ebay/amazon if anyone in the guild is interrested in taking on the task. Or even list them all on amazon or ebay store, it isn't hard, just about everything is prefilled now.

if not, donate, and let them go where they may. I don't blame hosting venues for not wanting to store them.