Old 05-09-2024, 06:30 AM
tropit

Default Groccery Store Cheeses...There're Not All The Same

Our local store had their store brand cheese on sale for super cheap, so the DH picked some up when he was shopping. It's edible, but not the same quality as some other private brands. The "shredded mozzarella" doesn't even taste like Mozzarella and isn't stringy when heated. The "Extra Sharp Cheddar" isn't that sharp and it's just gummy. I guess that you get what you pay for. My advice is that if you're going for great cheese taste and quality, pay the extra and get the good stuff. Some of my favorites I can find in my mainstream grocery store are:

Kerrygold Extra Sharp Aged Cheddar
Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese
BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella
Galbani Fresh Mozzarella
Cacique Mexican Cheeses (All types)

I rarely buy shredded cheeses because they have additives and the quality just isn't there. I like fresh Mozzarella over the other types because I know that it's fairly fresh and the taste is better. I haven't found a good Brie, Bleu, or Camembert yet in the regular grocery store.

I have found some wonderful cheeses in the boutique cheese shops and wine stores. We have a lot of great local cheese makers that put out some delicious cheeses. That's another topic.