Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Groccery Store Cheeses...There're Not All The Same >

Groccery Store Cheeses...There're Not All The Same

Groccery Store Cheeses...There're Not All The Same

Old 05-09-2024, 06:30 AM

Default Groccery Store Cheeses...There're Not All The Same

Our local store had their store brand cheese on sale for super cheap, so the DH picked some up when he was shopping. It's edible, but not the same quality as some other private brands. The "shredded mozzarella" doesn't even taste like Mozzarella and isn't stringy when heated. The "Extra Sharp Cheddar" isn't that sharp and it's just gummy. I guess that you get what you pay for. My advice is that if you're going for great cheese taste and quality, pay the extra and get the good stuff. Some of my favorites I can find in my mainstream grocery store are:

Kerrygold Extra Sharp Aged Cheddar
Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese
BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella
Galbani Fresh Mozzarella
Cacique Mexican Cheeses (All types)

I rarely buy shredded cheeses because they have additives and the quality just isn't there. I like fresh Mozzarella over the other types because I know that it's fairly fresh and the taste is better. I haven't found a good Brie, Bleu, or Camembert yet in the regular grocery store.

I have found some wonderful cheeses in the boutique cheese shops and wine stores. We have a lot of great local cheese makers that put out some delicious cheeses. That's another topic.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:16 AM

I don't know if any are near you, but Grocery Outlet (bargain market) and Aldis are both good places to look for cheese at discount prices. We didn't have Aldis before our move, but there is one right across from the library I go to for sewing day now. Grocery Market was near our old house, their regular stock cheeses maybe not so great but lots of partial loads of various exotic stuff that was often quite good even if they were gone next time we went.

The stores I regularly shop at now don't have much n terms of Cacique or other Mexican cheeses, but I agree that Cacique is a good brand.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

We are picky about cheese. I use fresh mozzarella especially Burrata, it's soft and creamy on the inside. We like Pecorino Romano better then Parmesan. I like extra sharp white cheddar and Cabot is the brand I buy for that. I do use Velveeta when I need a creamy cheese base for dip and sauce. For sandwiches I have the deli slice the cheese. My kids grew up with sharp cheddar so that is what they like now. I rarely buy pre grated. Too easy to use a grater for better flavor and I use less of it. I use to make my own Velveeta when the kids were home. If you use a lot of it making your own will be pennies. The method is now on youtube. Most all restaurants make their own or use to.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:50 AM

Local world-renowned good quality cheese - Tillamook.
Another one is Rogue River Smoky Blue Cheese. YUMMMMM
Old 05-10-2024, 03:49 AM

I feel I need to give Wisconsin (Dairyland State) a shout out for their cheeses. So many creameries and master cheesemakers that have won world awards. Fromagination, Madison Wisconsin is an awesome cheese store. They ship. Everythings comes from creameries local and beynd.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:05 AM

As a Vermonter, I have to stand up for Cabot cheese. I used to buy Cabot sharp cheddar in Alabama, for less than the price of Walmart brand sharp cheddar.

I find it interesting that there is a Cacique brand cheese and a Cacique brand of bras. FWIW, Cacique means "a tribal chief" or "prince".
Old 05-11-2024, 02:11 AM

I often will shred my own cheese too. I am a big fan of Cabot. And will use Galbani mozzarella cheese for Italian dishes I make. I learned a little trick a few years ago, might be old news to some of you...... But if you use nonstick aluminum foil to cover a baked casserole or lasagna while it is baking, when the dish is cooked and you take off the foil, the cheese won't stick to it. 😲 It stays on the casserole.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:53 AM

In Texas, We have HEB. DD bought the store brand of cheddar that felt and tasted like plastic. I did not use it. More and more choices of name brands are being replaced by cheaper store brands. I think I'm gonna have to switch to WallyWorld for Kraft, even! And, I bought a new food processor in order to grate my own!
Old 05-11-2024, 05:37 AM

For many years, I made my own cheese at home. It was a hobby of mine. I still have my "cheese cave" which is actually a wine fridge, so I might dig out my old recipes and tools of the trade and start making cheese again. The big problem with that is that I eat all that cheese, which isn't that healthy of a thing to do, especially now that I'm older. Some cheeses are very easy to make s/a fresh mozzarella, brie, even a good bleu. Others take more time and effort. It's going to get too hot to get into it this summer...perhaps in the fall. We even have an organic dairy near us that I could probably get some fresh milk from.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

if you use nonstick aluminum foil to cover a baked casserole or lasagna while it is baking, when the dish is cooked and you take off the foil, the cheese won't stick to it

I use the non stick foil to cover about everything when it needs to be covered while baking. Great stuff. I tried oiling regular foil but it isn't the same. Trying to be frugal I wasted oil, foil, and a lot of cheese that stuck. LOL