View Single Post
Old 05-18-2024, 02:47 PM
ibex94

I was discussing slicing and dicing with WesternWilson and she gave me all sorts of ideas on where to look for additional information on the process. I am sharing that information now in case anyone else wants to take a look.

Paul's Block Party had a class. You make gigantic blocks kind of along log cabin lines, then take a gigantic ruler and cut them up into squares. You end up with roughly 10" unfinished squares of irregular and pretty unpredictable construction, you put them up on the design wall and figure out a layout that pleases you, and sew it up!! Lots of scope for the quilting as well especially if you incorporate solids and negative spaces.

Paul has a very old blog page that shows some of the process, well worth doing!
[img]moz-extension://41722d2c-6c93-9d47-b2ad-8199955650e0/images/webicon_green.png[/img]http://paulsblockparty.blogspot.com/...-workshop.html

I would also recommend a workshop by Christa Hennebury called "Speed Date with Improv". It is a crash course, really fun, in free form construction of traditional shapes, which are then tossed up on the design wall, where again you can trim or add in pursuit of a layout that pleases you. She has an Instagram gallery, photo below:

[img]moz-extension://41722d2c-6c93-9d47-b2ad-8199955650e0/images/webicon_green.png[/img]https://www.instagram.com/explore/search/keyword/?q=speeddatewithimprov
(alas some speed daters have cross posted there!)

Those classes really built my sense of what to put where and how colours interact. I also love the books by Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston, "Collaborative Quilting" and its follow-up. And Carolina Oneto offers really good and affordable online classes as well which are huge help!!

Is this not great information from our archivist on this project?! WesternWilson made it really easy for us to get our photos uploaded into the Ricky Tims gallery for this class!