View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 AM
brushandthimble

Originally Posted by Nita
Originally Posted by brushandthimble
Scrappy is my all time favorite. I host a scrap surprise every spring, this will be about the eighth or ninth year. The controlled scrappy here is one of them.
What do you mean when you say you "host a scrap surprise" every Spring? Is that a class or some type of party? BTW, I just LOVE your quilts, especially the one you have labeled "controlled scrappy"; Who would ever guess that was made from scraps? Gorgeous! I have organized my scraps according to Joan Ford's "Scrap Therapy" (2', 3 1/2", and 5" squares) and am dying to make a quilt out of it. But when I look at my shoeboxes of mis-matched scraps, it is hard to visualize them coming together in a way that is pleasing to the eye. Maybe I need to buy some yardage for sashing strips and cornerstones that will kind of tie everything together, so to speak? Your "controlled scrappy" quilt that I like so much seems to be made from just a few colorways? I don't think I have enough similar colorways to do this.
For a controlled scrappy, chose a multi print fabric that you can use for the border, and pull scarps and FQ's in any and all colors in the "focus fabric". If there is a green for example all the shades of green can be used, they do not have to blend or match. I may limit the number of light/background prints, or you can use one background fabric to help "control". I chose one color in the quilt for the inner border, (contain and frame) the scappy quilt. The outer border is either one fabric (the focus) or pieces left over from other borders. If the border is different fabrics I may use one fabric for the binding, if the border is one fabric I go through my stash of left over bindings and chose ones in colors that are in the quilt. = my controlled scrappy.