Thread: Estate Sale
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM
ForestHobbit

We occasionaly(sp) go to estate sales. Your feelings are understandable. I enjoy them for this reason: Someone usually knows the family and I ask questions about what I am looking at. One place the husband was a woodworker as a hobby. We now have a very old plank wood table I will be using as a cutting table, a dovetailed 2 step stool for the kitchen and a very unusual cane for my husband. I remember the home and the people gathered there telling stories of the family and have those memories of loved people every time I use the items we bought.

On Saturday we went to another sale in the Rose Garden area of San Jose where there is a very old rose garden cared for by volunteers. The houses are 70 to 100 years old. We met 4 members of the family and they were such lovely people. I bought the family 66 red eye singer treadle machine for $100.00. Kate said the grandmother and aunt sewed the families clothing on it and it had been in the family since it was new. Then Kate sold me 2 beautiful bookcases with glass doors that i will use for fabric. Finally we bought a small square table that will be perfect for my FW and serger. Matt, the son, brought his 2 children with him and they were great kids. The girl is about 9-10 and has recently been given her own sewing machine. So far she makes pj's for herself and her stuffed animals. I did suggest she might want to give quilting a try by making a blanket for her bears. We had a great connection with these people and everything we brought home has a part of their warmth in them. The grandmothers name was Charlotte and the aunts Kay. My husband suggested we name my new baby KC to honor these 2 women.

The family knew we would care for the items we took home and that their families things would be loved by another family. That is what I wish for when I am gone and my family is looking for good homes for the things that I loved.

Sorry, I got long winded.
Judy the ForrestHobbit