Estate Sale

Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 AM

I experienced my first estate sale just a bit ago. (On my way home from Joanne's - 3 coupons and a set of square rulers for 50% off!!! - that was a good trip)

I am having mixed feelings about it. And honestly more feelings then I expected. I understand people move/die unexpectly but to see and be part of something like that was very strange for me. It was like they leave, and all their stuff just sits there like they just went to work and will be home anytime. And people are picking through their things, joking about popping floor boards in the attic to look for hidden money . .it just makes me feel very sad. Maybe becuase it was my first time at one - or maybe I am just a little more sensative than most. . .

How have your experiences been? Is it just me?

As a side note - they did have 2 antique (sp?) sewing machines. I don't know enought to say what they were but they were in cabinets - very nice. Also 1 box of fabric - which was my point in stopping, but not very much, no price, and strange fabric I was not famiular with.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 AM

I go to a lot of estate sales---one a couple of weeks ago. That one was a neighbor of my parents and it was a living estate sale, the woman is in a nursing home now. I bought some of her vintage hankies for a quilt. She and her husband never had any children. At an estate sale the things being sold are often to help pay for medical expenses, care or funeral expenses. Sometime people are crude without meaning to be because they're uncomfortable too. Sometimes they just don't know any better or it an attempt to be funny. Having lost both parents in 03 and having to sell their things was heartbreaking but there were just too many things to split up. (we did some) At the sale the most comforting thing was when people would buy something and then tell us, "You mother did ____for me when I really needed it. This will be my treasured momento." or "Your dad was the most honest man I ever knew. Having one of his tools in my garage will remind me to be more like him." As with most things, there are good and bad sides to sales.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:32 AM

I haven't been to an estate sale but I feel the same way in an antiques store or mall. So much stuff to look at I love to buy old cookbooks and sometimes there are notes inside.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM

We occasionaly(sp) go to estate sales. Your feelings are understandable. I enjoy them for this reason: Someone usually knows the family and I ask questions about what I am looking at. One place the husband was a woodworker as a hobby. We now have a very old plank wood table I will be using as a cutting table, a dovetailed 2 step stool for the kitchen and a very unusual cane for my husband. I remember the home and the people gathered there telling stories of the family and have those memories of loved people every time I use the items we bought.

On Saturday we went to another sale in the Rose Garden area of San Jose where there is a very old rose garden cared for by volunteers. The houses are 70 to 100 years old. We met 4 members of the family and they were such lovely people. I bought the family 66 red eye singer treadle machine for $100.00. Kate said the grandmother and aunt sewed the families clothing on it and it had been in the family since it was new. Then Kate sold me 2 beautiful bookcases with glass doors that i will use for fabric. Finally we bought a small square table that will be perfect for my FW and serger. Matt, the son, brought his 2 children with him and they were great kids. The girl is about 9-10 and has recently been given her own sewing machine. So far she makes pj's for herself and her stuffed animals. I did suggest she might want to give quilting a try by making a blanket for her bears. We had a great connection with these people and everything we brought home has a part of their warmth in them. The grandmothers name was Charlotte and the aunts Kay. My husband suggested we name my new baby KC to honor these 2 women.

The family knew we would care for the items we took home and that their families things would be loved by another family. That is what I wish for when I am gone and my family is looking for good homes for the things that I loved.

Sorry, I got long winded.
Judy the ForrestHobbit
Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 PM

I feel funny about Estates sales too. I tell DH all the time he better not let people go through my drawers. I like yard sales where it's all in the yard.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 PM

I went to an Estate sale this morning and bought a beautiful redwork quilt (picture is posted). In our area we have professional people who set up estate sales, I'm sure they collect a percentage of the profits. These sales are well advertised, organized and everything is presented in the best way- clean. Prices are reasonable.
The families who are selling their loved one's items are spared the garage sale atmosphere and are seldom present. They get a decent price and have already taken for themselves items with special meaning.
I do think about the person who lived in this (usually pretty) home. If I buy something it's because I appreciate the quality and I'd like to think they'd want me to have it.
Having disposed with family things myself I know the family feels relief when it's all done. Nobody has room in their home to keep/store everything Grandma left.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:02 PM

MaryS, you are so right. When I bought Neva's vintage hankies I was really thrilled to have something to remember her by and I know that if she were still in her right mind she would love the thought of them going into a butterfly quilt. Neva always loved pretty things.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:25 PM

So maybe it was just a strange first experience. I have to say I grew up in the area - but know know it is not the wealthiest - or has the most polished type of people. Don't get me wrong - no offence to the people of the area - I have many loved ones there, but communities differ. Maybe I have just been a bit removed and things seemed a little more vivid than I rememberd or are used to seeing now.

I do like the idea of hearing the story behind the things. The guy running this was on his cell the whole time talking in a different language - I don't even know what it was. Maybe it was that it seemed so very inpersonal. Maybe just an off first experience.

Thanks all for sharing. I think I will try again this summer as I see them come up. :)
Old 04-02-2010, 04:32 PM

I can understand how you feel, but I rather see it respectfully sold in an estate sale that thrown around in a garage sale with people trying to buy nice things for nearly nothing. I wonder what are my kids going to do with my stuff.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I'm with you...it is weird...like I'm looking inside some else's undie drawer...not very comfortable. But, having said that...we do go to them and I do buy things. I like to think that the person would like for me to love their belonging.

My DH always likes to remind me to keep in mind what is really important...when you are gone..everything that seemed important to YOU is lined up and disposed of in a couple of days...so keep things in perspective. I think that is probably pretty good advice.