View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 05:29 PM
2wheelwoman

Marsye
I hope that nobody does "chop your head off." I do know, as one who has suffered with depression and anxiety for many years, that I can get touchy when the meds are discussed. I agree totally with yourstrulyquilts, and feel that it's good to discuss it. I, too, fought the meds for a couple of years, until I realized that I was losing my capacity to function, and was suicidal enough to have a well-thought-out plan. Then I agreed to the meds, and they've saved my life. It is difficult, because it's another of the "invisible" illnesses. It doesn't matter if there is nothing to be depressed about - because that isn't usually the cause at all. It's about brain chemicals or the lack thereof. Just like the insulin for diabetics, which is the only way I've known how to explain it. I, for one, am glad you brought up the topic, because it's good to discusses it, both for us who suffer, and for those who don't understand. I never understood fibromyalgia (sp?) before reading so much about it on that thread. I have a family member who has it, and must confess to being one of those who thought it was more of an attention grabber than an illness. I know better now. Perhaps the same will come of this thread. Or, someone who is fighting taking medication that they really need will find the help and relief they need because of reading here.
Believe me, I'm an advocate of taking the minimum you need for the minimum time you need it - but if you need it, you need it.