Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 190

Thread: Pills For Depression!!

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Everyone I know is taking pills for depression!! Whats up with that??? Is everyone depressed but me??? Now if a person is a little down or having a bad day the doctor writes a prescription for pills! I don't even take a headache pill unless its really bad! Don't these people (and doctors) know they are filling their liver and stomach with harmfull chemicals??

  2. #2
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    I did it for awhile and if it helps it helps---beats laying in bed all the time without the energy or will to get up and even take a shower and really beats being suicidal. I took them long enough to get my head on straight and get well enough to find other outlets (such as church, quilting, and painting). It also helped me to figure out what I need to do to keep myself out of depression. Now, I make sure I get plenty of sleep, don't read books that are depressing, don't watch the tear-jerking chick flick type movies, try not to over-book myself, I stay as far away from negative people as I possible can. You are fortunate not to have ever experienced that black whirlpool that sucks you down into despair. People with diabetis take insulin, people with broken legs get casts, it's basically the same thing. Clinical depression is very hard for people who've never had it to understand and it's also very different than regular depression like you have when you lose a loved one.

  3. #3
    Senior Member mrsjdt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    490
    Just have to reply to this one.....taking medication to help with your depression is not a sin...nor anything to be ashamed of. I take offense to your comment but, even in disgust for the narrow mindedness that still exists, I do not wish depression upon you...altho that is the only way you would obviously understand.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    I don't mean to offend anyone at all! It just seems like everyone is depressed and I'm the one thats different. I've learned not to complain too much when I go for check ups because the doctors are too quick to write prescriptions for anything. Many times the medicines are much worse than the ailment.

  5. #5
    Super Member peaceandjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Finger Lakes of upstate NY
    Posts
    2,318
    It does seem like a lot of people are treated for depression - myself included.

    I spent a year in therapy with a psychiatrist for a combination of depression and anxiety, fighting medication the whole time. Like many people my age (soon to be 50!), I was raised to pull myself up by my bootstraps, so to speak.

    After a year, I agreed to discuss medication. The doctor asked me if I had diabetes, would I refuse to use insulin? Of course not. If I had heart problems, would I take needed medication? Of course. It's very much the same thing, and it runs in families.

    Having taken medication for a couple of years, I decided I was better and didn't need it any more. After a while, one of my children made a comment that I didn't ever smile. Back to the doctor and back on meds for me.

    Years ago, there wasn't much available to help many of the conditions that are treatable today - from depression to high blood pressure to diabetes to cancer to impotence - the list goes on and on. Why is it that we don't question the need for treatment for physical problems, but if it is a mental condition, we quesion it?

    If you, your family and friends are all fortunate enough to not have had clinical depression congratulations! However, if there is somebody who needs the help that is available, I hope you will listen to them and educate yourself rather than make them feel that they have to hide it from you.

  6. #6
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjdt
    Just have to reply to this one.....taking medication to help with your depression is not a sin...nor anything to be ashamed of. I take offense to your comment but, even in disgust for the narrow mindedness that still exists, I do not wish depression upon you...altho that is the only way you would obviously understand.
    It is VERY hard to understand. Like telling a man what childbirth or menopause is like. But I think she's trying to understand by asking about it. You sound like someone that suffers from it like I do. The worst thing (I think) is that others don't understand and don't realize that there's nothing they can say or do that will help. When my moods go black EVERYTHING that anyone says or does sounds negative to me. That's when I take my pills and get lots of sleep for a few days until it goes away. Non-sufferers do tend to think of it as just a sadness when in reality it's so much, much more. I've never been deaf or blind and would have a hard time grasping all that involved with that, same thing.

  7. #7
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    I don't mean to offend anyone at all! It just seems like everyone is depressed and I'm the one thats different. I've learned not to complain too much when I go for check ups because the doctors are too quick to write prescriptions for anything. Many times the medicines are much worse than the ailment.
    You're right about one thing, we all need to be pro-active when taking meds. I remember mom telling about being sick when she was expecting my twin sisters. She was on complete bed rest and the doctor came to the house every other day to give her a shot. When I asked what it was that he gave her she said, "I have no idea, he was the doctor and I trusted him." (that was back in the Thalidimide (sp?) days) In today's day and age we had better know not to do that. I'm not offended nor bothered by your statement. In fact, it makes me happy to know that you don't have to go through it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Ok, I guess I just don't understand it because I've never had it. A friend of mine just told me she was taking drugs for depression now and I couldn't see anything she should be depressed about so I was just wondering.....But I'm thinking I should have never started this thread. :? Maybe admins. will delete it before someone chops my head off. :shock:

  9. #9
    Senior Member yourstrulyquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    704
    No one is going to chop your heard off. Depression is rampant and not just so drug companies can make millions. I have had it, still have it and take meds for it. In the summer I can take less of them, because I'm outside more and getting that vitamin D that we in the Northern Hemisphere all need. I also take vitamin D. But there is more to the depression than just lack of sunshine. It's this troubled world that gets a lot of people down. Sometimes it just feel so hopeless and we feel so useless. There a as many reasons for depression as there are people who have it. It isn't just an imaginary illness. It's very real and very difficult to live with. I'm glad you posed the question, because it will give everyone a place to talk about it. And talking sometimes helps the sufferer.
    Diana

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,246
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Everyone I know is taking pills for depression!! Whats up with that??? Is everyone depressed but me??? Now if a person is a little down or having a bad day the doctor writes a prescription for pills! I don't even take a headache pill unless its really bad! Don't these people (and doctors) know they are filling their liver and stomach with harmfull chemicals??
    Maybe you need to change doctors. There are many people who have been helped to lead a better life after taking medication.

  11. #11
    2wheelwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    879
    Marsye
    I hope that nobody does "chop your head off." I do know, as one who has suffered with depression and anxiety for many years, that I can get touchy when the meds are discussed. I agree totally with yourstrulyquilts, and feel that it's good to discuss it. I, too, fought the meds for a couple of years, until I realized that I was losing my capacity to function, and was suicidal enough to have a well-thought-out plan. Then I agreed to the meds, and they've saved my life. It is difficult, because it's another of the "invisible" illnesses. It doesn't matter if there is nothing to be depressed about - because that isn't usually the cause at all. It's about brain chemicals or the lack thereof. Just like the insulin for diabetics, which is the only way I've known how to explain it. I, for one, am glad you brought up the topic, because it's good to discusses it, both for us who suffer, and for those who don't understand. I never understood fibromyalgia (sp?) before reading so much about it on that thread. I have a family member who has it, and must confess to being one of those who thought it was more of an attention grabber than an illness. I know better now. Perhaps the same will come of this thread. Or, someone who is fighting taking medication that they really need will find the help and relief they need because of reading here.
    Believe me, I'm an advocate of taking the minimum you need for the minimum time you need it - but if you need it, you need it.

  12. #12
    Super Member CraftsByRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,152
    Having had depression (and still do to a certain extent) along with anxiety ... I'm a stress eater so I eat when I'm depressed, sad, angry, hurt, upset, bored ... you get the picture ... and depression meds have helped me in some instances.

    Nothing wrong with taking meds when they are needed. We never know what is going on inside the person next to us. Most folks when they meet me or see me think I've got it good and never know what I'm really feeling as I try to hide it to prevent being negative.

    We never know what another person is going through until we walk a mile in their shoes ... I thank God you aren't depressed nor have you had it ... it's like being in a black hole/vacuum cleaner ... and you can't get out no matter what you do ... you can't sleep ... you can't think ... you are so tired you just get to where you don't care ...

    If meds help you ... then you are blessed ... because sometimes it takes a long time to find the right med ... I know ... been there done that ...can write the book and own the movie rights ;)

  13. #13
    Super Member canmitch1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,366
    If you have never had depression thank your lucky stars because real depression is hell on earth. I have suffered from anxiety and depression for all my adult life. I would hate to think where I would be without antidepressant pills. Probably in a psychiatric facility. I thank God everyday that my medication works for me. I can remember waking up in the morning and I was scared stiff as soon as I opened my eyes. I don't want to ever go there again.

  14. #14
    Super Member sunflower126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,792
    You are right, there are a lot of people today that are on anti-depression drugs. I recently retired from working in a PCP's office and there were many people-young and old on medication for depression.

    Myself I have been fortunate not to have a depressive type of personality. However, my husband has been on anti-depressants for most of the 43 years we have been married. His father and 2 sisters are also on them. It can be hereditary. My father took them. Oh there have been times that he tried to get of off them feeling as some do, embarrassed that he would need to take them. The Dr finally convinced him that it is like any other disease-heart problems, diabetes etc-you would take medication.

    About 6 years ago, despite the fact he was one medication, due to some issues in the workplace, he had a set back and had to take off work for 6 weeks due to the depression. He visited a psychiatrist 3 times a week to start and eventually was well enough to return to work. On new medication he is doing just fine and knows that he will have to be on this for the rest of his life.

    Marsye never having to deal with the issues you weren't aware of so many people dependent on anti depressants and why. Now you have been educated--and will be better able to understand your friend's problem. And I am sure that there are some taking medication that could do without with some life changes, but it's not always that easy.

  15. #15
    Honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,684
    I, too, fought useing depression meds. No one in my family had ever had a problem and, like Peace and Joy, I thought I should be able to handle everything on my own. When I got to the point that I didn't have the will to even pray anymore, and that I was activly thinking about suicide, I knew it was time to do something. When I called my Dr. I thought he was going to do cartwheels. I didn't realize how much I had changed and how worried so many people were about me. Do I still have down days? Of course, everyone does, but at least I do not fall back into the black pit that I was in. And yes, there are people in my so called "family" that are embarassed if I am to open about it. They will never understand and that's their problem. One day I heard one of my brothers say that I was just trying to get attention and if everyone ignored me, I would "snap out of it". I didn't even have the energy or will to slap him up side the head like I should have. All I can say is off meds I am a person that I do not even recognize or like and on them I am my old self. Marsye, don't feel bad about starting this thread, it's ok. Sometimes you can't see the blood and scars that others carry. For myself, I was the worlds best actress and could hide things with the best of them.

  16. #16
    montanaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    871
    Being on medication for depression is nothing to be ashamed of. Neither is being depressed. Instead of being negative be supportive of your friend. Just because you don't think there's anything to be depressed about doesn't mean anything. Usually it's a hereditary, brain chemical thing. Not a, down in the dumps day, it's usually worse than that. It's a very difficult decision to be finally be put on meds but it sure makes a difference in most people's lives. Just be a friend and don't be judgemental about the meds. That's not really the issue.

  17. #17
    Super Member Pamela Artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan U.P.
    Posts
    1,076
    I think there are conditions now that are treated with meds that in years past were not diagnosed. Like ADD and ADHD. I think years ago, before these were diagnosed and treated, they existed, but were just considered "problem" kids, and it was considered a behavior or lack of discipline problem. In the same way, clinical depression was undiagnosed and people who suffered with it were untreated, and were considered to be just always unhappy or blue, or even mentally ill. Some cases of depression can be triggered by a loss, and when someone can't get over that loss and remains "down" then there's a chemical change in the brain that becomes clinical depression. Some people suffer from depression that is chronic, genetic, and is not caused by an "event." I have suffered depression of the first kind when I suffered a traumatic loss and took antidepressants for a year and then was weaned off of them and had no further need for them. My daughter, however, suffers from the second kind and will probably be on antidepressants for the rest of her life. Without it, she becomes terribly depressed and suicidal. It does seem that more and more people are diagnosed with depression and treated with meds. Sometimes I wonder if our lifestyles have changed so much since our grandparents day and if they had better coping skills and therefore less depression or if just as many people were depressed and were never treated. But having been through it for a short period of time, it gave me a better understanding of what others go through when they live with constant depression. It's like a black fog that descends over you and you can't see beyond it. I struggled with suicidal thoughts - not because I wanted to die so much as not seeing a way out of the terrible grief, pain and unhappiness. Luckily, I saw a good dr. who explained about the chemical changes and I had some good therapy to learn new coping skills and after being on antidepressants for a while, the fog slowly lifted. I hope I never have to repeat that time in my life but I think because of my experience so long ago, I've been able to help my daughter when she became suicidal.

  18. #18
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Ok, I guess I just don't understand it because I've never had it. A friend of mine just told me she was taking drugs for depression now and I couldn't see anything she should be depressed about so I was just wondering.....But I'm thinking I should have never started this thread. :? Maybe admins. will delete it before someone chops my head off. :shock:
    I'm not in one of my black moods right now so no head chopping. LOL
    The second half of your second sentence in this post: there isn't an external "reason" for clinical depression. But there are, at times, external things that can trigger an onslaught of it. It's due more to a chemical imbalance than anything else. The pills help keep the chemicals in the brain that control the emotions to flow in harmony. At least that's the way my doctor explained it. Does that help to make sense now?
    As far as this post goes, maybe you've helped others to understand and even some of us that have a hard time dealing with it to vent our frustrations at the disease and at having spouses, friends and other family members that also don't understand. It's far easier to vent online to someone we don't really know than it is face to face with friends and family. Don't worry yourself into a depression over it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

    btw: cute new avy, now take it away and put up something cheerful. :thumbup:

  19. #19
    Senior Member mrsjdt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    490
    Ditto on chopping off your head---then we wouldn't be able to have this discussion. And, I apologize for----"jumping" ...I fought meds for 3 years..didn't care if I ever saw the sun shine again...or ate a decent meal, or went for a walk with "my best friend", my DH...and I got the same speech about if I was diabetic, if I had heart disease...and I agreed to try it. It works. The hardest thing to understand, even for those of us who suffer from depression IS---there doesn't have to be "a reason" that you can put your finger on. You just lack the proper chemicals, in the proper balance, to be ?????normal.(whatever normal is). I fought it because the only person I ever knew who was "depressed" was a neighbor when I was growing up...she was nuts---she used to walk down the street in her nightgown, dragging a broom...and I was never gonna be like her. Better in a nightgown with a broom than dead. Sometimes it takes a whack with a mallet.

  20. #20
    Senior Member yourstrulyquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    704
    Marsyee, you crack me up!!

  21. #21
    Senior Member Born2Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    656
    Glad someone used the term Chemical Imbalance. That is exactly what it is and I could write a book on the subject.
    My daughter has one and should be on meds but has no health ins to afford to go to a doctor. The meds make it bearable to be around her. Of course they help her as well, don't misunderstand. At the time we found the right doctor for her, she had carved the initials DA in her arm with a razor blade. More calmly than I felt, I asked her what the initials stood for. She said, Death Angel. That was enough to scare me into finding someone who would finally help us. Anti depressants saved her life.

    I also take them, but mostly because they help to aleviate pain. The Methotrexate I take is far more dangerous to the liver, than the anti d's. I have to go for blood work every 2 months to check my liver enzymes. Never used to take any kind of med whatsoever. Now I take a handful every night.
    Almost need to anti d's just to compensate the depression brought on from having to take all this other stuff. Certainly I would not choose to have to take anything, but would find my state of being miserable if I didn't.

  22. #22
    Senior Member kat112000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sioux Lookout, ON
    Posts
    939
    I am on Prozac and will be for the rest of my life. I have a chemical imbalance and without my daily "happy" pill I would probably be in jail for murder!! Believe me I have tried to get off of the pill but my body just won't let me and I have come to terms with that. Thank goodness I have a great insurance plan that pays for my meds!!!!

  23. #23
    Senior Member redrummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mount Vernon, Oh
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    It just seems like everyone is depressed and I'm the one thats different. I've learned not to complain too much when I go for check ups because the doctors are too quick to write prescriptions for anything. Many times the medicines are much worse than the ailment.
    I disagree. I think we just know more about conditions of others than we used to. And I don't think all Drs. over prescribe. Depression is a conditon in which your body no longer makes the needed chemicals you need. That is where the meds come in. Would you tell a diabetic they shouldn't take their meds? would you tell a cancer patient to not take treatment?

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Ok, I guess I just don't understand it because I've never had it. A friend of mine just told me she was taking drugs for depression now and I couldn't see anything she should be depressed about so I was just wondering.....B
    Maryse, I think that sentence explains why you don't understand. There are many people who think someone who is depressed must have "something to be depressed about" that causes it, and that isn't the case at all. It is a chemical imbalance, and usually has nothing to do with what is or is not "going on in your life". And it is very real!! I am glad you've never experienced it. My sister hasn't either, and doesn't really understand, but she accepts that it is real, and PHYSICAL, not mental. That's all that is needed, really. And if you learn something, it's not a bad thing.

  25. #25
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    I know many people who have tried anti-depressants 'cause they were going through a hard time in their lives and found that it really didn't help. They stopped taking the meds because it wasn't effective... they didn't have clinical depression which is about brain chemistry, they had depression based on what was happening in their lives.

    Me, I've been on anti-depressants for a couple of years now and I can tell you it isn't a "happy pill" for me. It just makes the darkness a little less black so that I can work my way back to life... through having friends, quilting, therapy, etc.

    Oh and I just wanted to say THANK YOU for starting this thread! Depression, meds, etc are things that desperately need to be talked about on both ends, the pros and cons.

    Plus the first 5 meds that I tried... whoa I was going for a wild ride there for a while. I was on one that would literally knock me out; within 20 minutes of taking it I could no longer hold my head up. That can't be the best thing for your body. Even the one I'm on now has made me gain weight which is unnatural. So yes there are risks and bad side-effects that people need to be aware of so they can make a good choice.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.