Pills For Depression!!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:08 AM

Marsye, I just want to say this. I am glad you started this thread. It gives people a chance to learn and learning is always a good thing. This section is an open forum and I have learned a lot from the varied discussions that have gone one here. If it is a subject that we do not like, we don't have to be part of it. I, for one, am tired of people hiding their heads in the sand over certain subjects and am glad to get them out in the open. It gives those of us who have whatever the subject is about a chance to be heard and those who don't a chance to ask questions. That's what discussions are. I agree with whoever said that it is easier to talk about things on this board sometimes, than to talk to someone face to face. For myself, I am up for discussing just about anything.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 AM

What should happen and isn't anymore is your blood should be tested for some chemical and then you start out on a dosage and they keep checking this level in your blood to make sure it's to the right amount, but that isn't happening anymore. All you have to do is say hey doc i'm depressed and he hands you a pill.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:00 AM

debbd,
correct me if I am wrong but if you are looking for quilting tips and discussion then you are in the wrong part of the board. this is the non quilting section of the board where we can discuss whatever we want without having someone like you being rude to us over what we talk about. so if you do not have a positive comment or suffer from this or just not willing to understand what we go through then stay out of the conversation that is going on.

sorry ladies but I am rude and blunt and call it as I see it. people know where I stand as I do not sugar coated my personality. but this is the type of treatment that causes me not to have anything to do with the person or someone who can not or will not try to be supportive or understanding of what we go through with this disorder. If people do not shun you because of "mental health issues" then they try to judge us over nothing that they know nothing about.

Debbd, I suggest that you do some research and studying up on this. because God forbid you or someone in your family or a good friend comes down with this affliction and you treat them this way. do you know you could send them over the edge to possibly killing themselves? and how would you feel if one of your children come down with it? and are you prepared to accept the consequences of your actions. because the ones of us that have bipolar disorder have to deal with it daily. some of us worse than others.

so be QUIET about something you know absolutely nothing about.

Becca
Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 AM

I stumbled on this post today and read most of them. Some of what has been written goes straight to the heart of the matter and some of it is nothing but bulls%&$. I have suffered from clinical depression since2001. I am lucky in that I know exactly what set mine off. The trigger for me was the attacks on the world trade cente towers on Sep 11th, 2001. I haven't been the same since. I take my medicine every day but it doesn't always work. I have tried to go off it but that makes me feel bad again. I also take medicine for high blood pressure. All told, between the prescription stuff and the over the counter vitamins, I take 27 1/2 pills a day. You can't understand what it is like unless you have been there. You wake up and don't even have the energy to get out of the bed. I had an emotional collapse last year inspite of bieing on my medication. All the doctors did was add another pill to my daily intake but it made things better. I have a darling of a husband who supports me every way he can. I still have episodes every now and then but for the most part things are under control again. thank God I have a good doctor that has listened to me when I told her that something was not right. My quilting is a bright spot in my life and I am learning more and more every day about how to be a better quilter. If I am feeling down I will come to my work room and start digging through my stash and find what I need to work on to bring me back up.
Forgive my rambling but I had to get it off my chest ... even if it is mixed up.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 AM

[quote=marsye]
Originally Posted by DebbiD
You know what marsye - I take total offense to your comments. I suffer from depression and it is extremely difficult. If you don't know what you are talking about - then BE QUIET!!!! And the more you speak the worse you get. I have been staying away from this board more and more because of this very thing. Is this not a QUILTING board? Is this not supposed to be a place to discuss tips, techniques, our projects with others? When did it become a place for narrow minded ignorance?
OUCH! But I'm not ignorant. :oops:
I'll just go somewhere else. ;-)[/quote

I think this is getting off the track, As a wife to a Bipolar Husband, the bipolar is the lowkey kind it is mostly Depression.
Bill was not diagnosed until 2005,Yesterday was 49 yrs of marriage. I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY HE COULDN'T JUST GET UP AND GET OVER IT!!! We fought his depression with some help from Docs. But I want to DebbiD to understand this. If you are not educated to depression and I WASN'T or Bipolar you just can not understand why the depressed person cannot just shake it off by diverting his or her attention to something that YOU think will take His or Her mind off the depression and get on with life. I do believe your words were to strong. She has been reading the posts and states if YOU will go from the beginning and read them all how gratful she is and now understands more abt. depression and why the depressed person can not just shake it off. She thanked everyone.
So don't go anywhere Marsye, you never know unless you ask you ask and got all the right ans.
BillsBonBon
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Marsye - don't even think of going somewhere else, you belong here. We know you meant no malice in your posting, and it has been beneficial to many of us and we've all learned from it.

DebbiD - if you'd like to only see quilting posts, click on the MAIN thread. General Chit-Chat is just that - random chit-chat, non quilting related. I see from the number of posts you've made that you're pretty new here, and will assume that you're not yet familiar with the board. The community here tries it's best to be respectful and not target a particular member if they happen to disagree with them, and hopefully you'll join into that spirit in the future. Resorting to namecalling is not appropriate here.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
I have suffered from clinical depression since the late 70s. It is hard to explain how you feel.

I had tried many things and nothing seemed to change the way I felt. I remember when people would say just get out and do something you will feel better. I tried, I have a great life and everything to be grateful for, but just could not seem to get it together sometimes. Finally in 2004 after my husband got laid off for the 6th time. I was a basket case, could not concentrate, slept all the time. And then I found a doctor who really knew his stuff. He realized I was having an anxiety attack as well as being depressed and gave me something for the anxiety, and it worked, and only have to take it when I feel really anxious, which is now not that often. Then he started to ask me about when was the last time I felt happy about something and I could not tell him and he started going back into my history. He suggested a drug that I had never heard of and instead of being something that has to build up in your system if it is going to work you will know it in a couple of days. I could not believe it within one day, I could concentrate and although it is not what some call a happy pill, I felt normal for the first time, I found joy in almost everything I do and it takes a lot to upset me now. I still have an occasional day I may feel depressed and as the Doctor says welcome to normal. I have been taking this now for over 6 years and I am grateful everyday as is my DH. I use to go crazy over the littlest upset and could sleep for days. Now I am in a good mood most of the time and find the good in almost everything.
Woohoo, I think it is awesome that you're doing so great now and that you stay positive Shaverg! :D :D :D

I've learned a lot about depression from this thread also and I'm so glad you started it Marsye. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 AM

Marsye, we need and want you here on this board. Your thread has been a true blessing to many of us.

Love ya,
Kay Susan
Old 04-08-2010, 12:09 PM

Marsye,
I hope you wouldn't really consider leaving because a few people felt the need to behave poorly. Your posting's title was quite clear and understandable. You certainly have a right to share your opinion and ask questions in the general chit-chat area. It's a shame when people don't take the time to read the entire thread before they respond inappropriately to one post. It is also a shame that some feel they can insult and belittle others for having a different opinion. I appreciated your opening up this discussion and reading the posts containing differing opinions that were written clearly and kindly. Sharing information is a great use for the general chit-chat area.
Take care, Maribeth
Old 04-08-2010, 12:50 PM

I take one pill a day. What some people don't understand is that it is not just in our minds...our chemicals in our heads just get off sometimes. I am the happiest person in the world and love life. But without the little pill, bad things can go from a mole hill to a mountain and I dwell on it. Like if you aren't an alcoholic you don't understand. This was a good chat