Pills For Depression!!

Old 04-18-2010, 03:21 PM

I don't know how the misunderstanding or whatever started over this thread; however, that's a reflection of people being misinformed over depression & all mental illnesses. I hope that everyone who has read this thread will try to see depression & any type of MI with a different opinion. I couldn't find through looking at the different pages who the person is that made a comment to start a feud, but I pray that person will rethink whatever it was they said. I pray that they or anyone else has to deal with MI, God forbid.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 PM

I myself take a mild anti-depressent. Well I'm suppose to anyway. It is so mild that she gave me something to boost it alittle bit. I'am 58, dealing with the loss of a husband, and 3 kids, plus my present marriage is falling apart. I have a daughter who has pancreaitis (severe) from alcoholism, A daughter who is struggling to support herself and he 3 kids, and I run 2 households the best I can. I'm married to a pack rat, but if you ask me hes a hoarder......can't live that way. I could go on and on. Depression gets to be a factor every summer at the time of my childrens deaths, and I'm not ashamed to ask for help when it seems like everything is sliding downhill at once. I do quilt to help, but haven't found time to sew in 3 weeks....see what I mean?
~Bj~
Old 04-18-2010, 05:23 PM

BJ, Did you lose a husband, plus 3 children, & still have living children? I know the difficulty of dealing with grief & I wish you well in dealing with depression. Have you been to a Grief Support Group. That might help you tremendously & I'd suggest finding one locally.

Have you & your present husband discussed his habits? If you haven't, I'd suggest doing so & there might be a solution whereby he could get a shed or rent a storage unit to store some of his belongings in.

I will be praying for you & your situation. The folks here on the Board do care & would like to help by listening if that would help. TTUL.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 PM

BJ You do seem to have an awful lot going on bless your heart. And yes, I do care. I am finding that I care about all of you. It is very easy to care about the folks on this forum. If there is anny way that I can help you, even by just being a shoulder for you to lean on for support, I am here. I think all of us with depression may need to be there for each other. Kind of like a support system when we are having a difficult time. All we may be able to do is listen, but that may be enough to help if we need to just vent to someone. But know that we do care about you.

Huge Hugs
Old 04-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Question:

There is "clinical depression" - which I would equate to something like diabetes - there is a physiological malfunction.

And there is "situational" depression caused by external factors.

And then there is clinical with situational piled on it.

Is my understanding close to correct?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 AM

In my opinion, you're correct. The physiological malfunction may require a lifetime of pills to keep it in check. The physiological would also include the bi-polar manic-depressives. The situational depression may require pills long enough for the situation to be managed, however that may be done. And when there is clinical depression with situational on top of it, there is definitely the need for medication to enable the sufferer to handle day to day life.

In all these cases I believe that "talk therapy" with a therapist or counselor should accompany the medication. There are tremendous benefits in learning new coping behaviors, etc., that can really help. I believe this is especially true of situational depression, caused by grief or divorce or other events. Having someone to talk it through with can be quite useful.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by granniebj
I myself take a mild anti-depressent.
~Bj~
Hi BJ, I think you are a most amazing and strong woman.

To admit that you are on antidepressant is so brave. I don't think one should ever be ashamed that they are on antidepressants as the depression could be caused by several factors....

Remember, has to be fit before one can help others. And you need the pills as you have gone through hell. I feel dearly for you even though I don't know you. As one of our quilters said : "we care for one another" and it is so true.

I presume you have been to councellors to talk things out. Do you have phone in councellors like Lifeline where you live?? I used to be a councellor for Lifeline, and I know that by talking you seem to find your own answers. The best part is that you are not judged and your conversation is private and confidential.

I cannot understand how much pain you are going through, but I shall pray for strength for you.

You must b a helluva mom and gran. Blessings. ciao
Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
Very, very good advice there. I for one really appreciate it, as I'm sure others do too.
BIG HUG!:XD:
Old 08-30-2010, 04:50 PM

I have been on meds. for depression since 1997. I deal with chronic pain, restless leg syndrome that use to keep me awake until 3:00 in the morning, and back and neck problems. If nott for the meds., I'm sure I would not be here. Things in general aren't that great but I can still say "LIFE IS GREAT"
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I just asked my Doctor if he knew of a "perky" pill and he laughed. no such thing.i sort of wish there was though.