Pills For Depression!!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 PM

MARSYE see what you have done????????? Hey this is great for all of us.. Thanks for opening it up and getting into trouble (!) But this is doing so much good to so many of us..

BARBM, HONEY and CANMITCH thinking of you. It is so good for one to tell a stranger what they are really feeling. BTW a stranger is just a friend you don't know yet!!!

Must share - went for blood test and everything is clear. Do not have to go for the bone scan but have to go for spinal x-ray. Thank you all for sharing and of course for listening to me... ciao
Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dannypanny
MARSYE see what you have done????????? Hey this is great for all of us.. Thanks for opening it up and getting into trouble (!) But this is doing so much good to so many of us..

BARBM, HONEY and CANMITCH thinking of you. It is so good for one to tell a stranger what they are really feeling. BTW a stranger is just a friend you don't know yet!!!

Must share - went for blood test and everything is clear. Do not have to go for the bone scan but have to go for spinal x-ray. Thank you all for sharing and of course for listening to me... ciao
so glad you kept your appointment and that you let us know the results! I've never had a bone scan but have shrunk an inch in past three years...yikes!
I guess my pcp will let me know if/when I ever need one.
She is good. hugs to you and hope the spinal x-ray comes out well too. :-D
Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 AM

She is good. hugs to you and hope the spinal x-ray comes out well too. :-D[/quote]

Hi the bone scan was to see if the cancer had spread..... but oncologist thought I need the x ray before we go all dramatic..,. ciao

PS maybe everyone is getting taller and you have NOT shrunk.... :O)
Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dannypanny
She is good. hugs to you and hope the spinal x-ray comes out well too. :-D
Hi the bone scan was to see if the cancer had spread..... but oncologist thought I need the x ray before we go all dramatic..,. ciao

PS maybe everyone is getting taller and you have NOT shrunk.... :O)[/quote]

LOL...maybe they have. Thought I was Alice...fell down a hole you know...mouse hole is the one I frequent most.
You must have mentioned your cancer, but I forgot.
Stepping up prayers for you, dearheart.
You make me smile. My db says ciao too. Lived in Italy for a while.
He actually didn't care for the area he was in. Too many break ins and such.
Ok, here's to a good report on the bone scan, sweets. I get bumbleheaded, but hope I remember to ask. Please tell:wink: hugs
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 AM

Marsye, I am happy that you have never had to deal with depression. I feel that you are truly blessed. But I have dealt with it (usually in the winter) and have had to take medication for it. I am also on pain medication. Boy, there's another lovely subject. Due to working I have had two surgeries on my right shoulder and have a degenerative disc in my back. I held off using any form of pain med because of the "stigma" associated with them. Finally my doctor convinced me that I needed to be on them. I trusted him and am now functionin on them. But there are still folks who think that the pain is all in people's heads. People will also question someone, especially if they don't understand or have never dealt with that problem. The best thing you did was to bring up the subject! That way everyone can be educated about it. Thank you for allowing us to do this.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Marsye, I have more than depression. I am bipolar (highs/lows) & if you aren't familiar with it, there is surely someone in your life that has it. You may think that's just the way they are, or the person hasn't been diagnosed. That's how it goes for a lot of people. Mine was passed onto me by my Dad & he also had (he's deceased) siblings with it. It tends to run in families. If it wasn't for medication, my suicide attempts would have been successful & I wouldn't be sitting here writing this post. My prayer is that your friend is getting the right kind of help & that everyone who has problems will go to the doctor or counselor to see if they can get help. Denial is what kills a lot of people with this illness. There are many more mental illnesses than people know about or take time to look up. Hope this helps someone question them self & reach out for help if they are having a rough time.

I agree some doctors over diagnose depression, but until the person gets the right doctor & right diagnosis, they need to keep searching.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Sheila Elaine,
I'm so glad that you got help when you needed it, and am sorry that things got so bad you tried suicide. I've planned them out, but not carried through with an actual attempt. I'm considered bipolar II or depressive bipolar (with mid-range and lows, but with extremely rare manic episodes). Nobody can know what the mood swings are like unless they've lived them. I have friends who think they're just normal changes in mood, but they're so much more. Mine comes from my mothers side of the family.

Continue to take good care of yourself.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Thanks 2WW, it's so hard when all people see is taking pills isn't normal. I have a PDA Page that I will post to if anyone is interested in discussing this further. I enjoy relaying what I have learned about mental illness onto others. Thanks for listening & thanks Marsye for bringing up the topic.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
Marsye, I have more than depression. I am bipolar (highs/lows) & if you aren't familiar with it, there is surely someone in your life that has it. You may think that's just the way they are, or the person hasn't been diagnosed. That's how it goes for a lot of people. Mine was passed onto me by my Dad & he also had (he's deceased) siblings with it. It tends to run in families. If it wasn't for medication, my suicide attempts would have been successful & I wouldn't be sitting here writing this post. My prayer is that your friend is getting the right kind of help & that everyone who has problems will go to the doctor or counselor to see if they can get help. Denial is what kills a lot of people with this illness. There are many more mental illnesses than people know about or take time to look up. Hope this helps someone question them self & reach out for help if they are having a rough time.

I agree some doctors over diagnose depression, but until the person gets the right doctor & right diagnosis, they need to keep searching.
Sheila Elaine, your last part reminded me of something that a gastroenterologist told me and then I found some info that goes along with what he said:
We're talking about EVERYBODY here:
The average person has more serotonin, (thought to be just a brain chemical...mood elevator)
the average person, has more serotonin in their GUT than in their BRAIN.
When this level of serotonin changes in the gut, it can depress a person due to gastrointestinal problems,...they go to their primary care doc...tell him they feel, tired, sluggish,...depressed? yes, doc.
They get put on an anti-depressant and it doesn't help their problems.
That is why, if you don't feel good, it is so important to get checked out, and if you STILL don't feel good, get checked out again, or even get a second opinion from another doctor.
Diagnoses are only as good as the information given to base them on.
If you have high anxiety issues, as I do, it can be very difficult to know what to tell your doctor.
I don't fault the doctor's that misdiagnosed me right along the guidelines of what I said.
I fault the ones that didn't diagnose me at all...just read my file and thought:
..."oh, Dr. so and so thought...good enough for me!
After several doctors in a row, read a file and go with ?how many other doctors, playing follow-the-wrong-leader...
you begin to look like a hypochondriac for still complaining.
Insist that your doctor start fresh.
He can't lawfully ignore blood test results, but he can use his own professional experience as a diagnostician, and should!!!! ;)
So, I hope this explains why some ppl get diagnosed as being depressed..and technically they are, but it's situational, secondary to a gastro-intestinal problem...and they don't need anti-depressants.
If it's not broke don't fix it.
If it's a broken tummy, let's not put a bandage on the head. :XD:
If it's a problem with the chemicals in the brain, let's not put a band-aid on the toe, and say, "you can still walk, so get up and get on with it. Your fine." :cry:
Keeping a journal of how you feel, and what you have been eating, how you are sleeping, what makes you feel better, what makes you feel worse...for a few days or a week, and take it to the doctor...this can help more than you know. Report any meds your on, or have tried, and any recent changes, even family upsets or a move, etc.
Above all, don't be embarrassed.
If your doctor makes you feel embarrassed, get another one, asap!
Nobody should have to endure that kind of treatment anymore.
There are too many good ones to settle for less.
If you need support, take your mate or a good friend with you. HUGS! :-D
Old 04-18-2010, 11:04 AM

Very, very good advice there. I for one really appreciate it, as I'm sure others do too.