Pills For Depression!!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
No one is going to chop your heard off. Depression is rampant and not just so drug companies can make millions. I have had it, still have it and take meds for it. In the summer I can take less of them, because I'm outside more and getting that vitamin D that we in the Northern Hemisphere all need. I also take vitamin D. But there is more to the depression than just lack of sunshine. It's this troubled world that gets a lot of people down. Sometimes it just feel so hopeless and we feel so useless. There a as many reasons for depression as there are people who have it. It isn't just an imaginary illness. It's very real and very difficult to live with. I'm glad you posed the question, because it will give everyone a place to talk about it. And talking sometimes helps the sufferer.
Diana
Each person copes with the stuff that comes their way, and the stuff their bodies throw at them...in their own way, so two depressed ppl don't look alike.
If we all looked alike, and acted alike, I think it would be easier for the non-sufferers to see...hey, that looks like a depressed person.
Nope, just doesn't work like that.
ONE THING I WANT TO SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOP, IS:

JUST BC A PERSON CHOOSES TO TAKE MEDS TO GET RELIEF FROM THEIR DEPRESSION,
GAD...general anxiety disorder, ocd, adhd, ptsd
BI-POLAR
SCHIZPHRENIA
etc. etc. etc.
DOESN'T MEAN THEY WANTED TO AT FIRST, OR THAT THEY LIKE IT.
IT MEANS THEY DISCOVERED, THAT THEY ARE BETTER OFF IN THE LONG RUN, WITH MEDS, THAN WITHOUT THEM!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 AM

I agree it runs in families. my father had it and I did not realize that is what he was treated for when I was 4. and of course unless they ask in depth questions they do not know. All I knew was he had electric shock therapy in 1964 and that I found out was the standard treatment back then.I am sure looking at what I went through with my mom had it because she battled every day she cried for years daily but never went to see about it. My half brother from my dad has it. found out about the time I was told I had it. my youngest son and daughter both battle it.

it is a chemical imbalance and the only way to control it is with the medications otherwise I am a danger to myself. and sometimes others because not that I want to but because when totally out of control you can step back and see what you are doing but unable to stop it. is the best way I can describe it. thankfully hubby and I been married 13 yrs and he has been through hell with it until I found out. I have good days and few really bad ones. on those days I try not to have to deal with anyone I do not have to. I can not carry on a conversation. and hubby and daughter say they can tell a bad day as I repeat myself. they start counting and let me know it to. I have one friend that we chatter and all course she lives across the street one house down and she can tell on those days and she comes over to make sure that all is well. some days I go to the sewing room. one of the things that tells me I am having issues is lack of sleep. because you have periods you don't sleep much.
the other thing when having issues is I play Asheron's Call and World of Warcraft online. you are your character and you are in a world that you do not have to deal with everyday things or issues. so to me the monthly fees on them is well worth them. my daughter plays both of them with me.
the thing to remember is there is help out there. and I wish to God that I did not have to deal with this but that is not the way it is and I do have to deal with it and live with it. my reason for getting up everyday is my parrots for no other reason and it keeps me balanced as I know they have to be cared for. so yea they get lots of attention and figure I have 14 of them. that is alot of attention. my daughter and grandchildren live in Houston and are moving out here after school this year. I so look forward to that.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewgull
Originally Posted by marsye
Everyone I know is taking pills for depression!! Whats up with that??? Is everyone depressed but me??? Now if a person is a little down or having a bad day the doctor writes a prescription for pills! I don't even take a headache pill unless its really bad! Don't these people (and doctors) know they are filling their liver and stomach with harmfull chemicals??
Maybe you need to change doctors. There are many people who have been helped to lead a better life after taking medication.
Also, most ppl with adhd, (which is part of what I inherited),
are very intelligent people and KNOW that their livers and kidneys filter these medications and they are extremely concerned about side effects and long term use of these medications.
I myself, think I will live longer, but I know I and my family, will live happier, bc of these meds.
I don't find much in this life that is perfect except: grandbabies! :-D
Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Marsye, I am not going to chop off your head. at least you were brave enough to ask about it.

I don't usually tell people that I have it because of the shun factor. and my hubby's family can not deal with my having the bipolar at all. my family was and is supportive so I am one of the lucky ones. they were in fact relieved to find that there was a reason for how I was
Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

This is such a great thread. I've battled depression and anxiety for most of my life. People who find out are always surprised b/c I am a very outgoing, bubbly type person who truly loves life. It's a beast- enough on the topic that I don't have much to add but I thank everyone who posted. Panic attacks have taken years from me. So many things help- medications, therapy, exercise, avoiding negative people etc etc etc that's the good news :D
I have to say I know myself a lot better than I ever would have if I didn't have these things and while it can be awful I still love my life.
Oh yeah- it does run in families too- lots of people in mine and one of my boys too :(
Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 AM

Everyone I know is taking pills for depression!! Whats up with that??? Is everyone depressed but me??? Now if a person is a little down or having a bad day the doctor writes a prescription for pills! I don't even take a headache pill unless its really bad! Don't these people (and doctors) know they are filling their liver and stomach with harmfull chemicals??
When I first read this I totally agreed! Well with the LIVER part. NO doctor tells anyone what all these drugs do your liver. ONLY since I have a liver disease do I question EVERY drug a doctor wants to throw my way. You might say I am hyper sensitive to drug pushing doctors. I have a friend that is an admitted alcoholic and on a cocktail of 24 different drugs. She is a mess!!! She won't eat any thing healthy and complains constantly about her weight. She is 100 + lbs over weight. The heavier you are the higher your dosing! She won't walk or exercise for anything. I told her she is on a suicide mission. She is not well and I attribute it mostly to her doctors pushing drugs. I would agree she might need something but there is a lot to be said for moving our butts. Her situation hurts my heart and makes me feel sad for so many that are in her shoes.

I hate that I have to take thyroid replacement from thyroid cancer. But I am so greatful to God that he gave me a doctor that was willing to hear how miserable I was feeling for 5 long years being on Synthroid. As soon as I told my new endo. she switched me right then and there. I had BEGGED my other dr. the whole 5 years telling her I was wickedly depressed and so sad and not feeling human or like a woman. She wouldn't budge. This new doctor changed me to Levoxyl. In a few short weeks I was like, hey life is different and I feel so much better. I am also on bio identical hormones! Love them!!! My husband loves my Levoxyl too, cuz he sees a clear difference too.

Thanks so much for starting this possibly life changing thread! :thumbup:
Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
I did go through a bout with depression during menopause. I can tell you it is nothing to fool around with...it is debilitating!! Medications for depression can be a life changing and life saving thing for some people. Chronic depression is a horrible disease that some people deal with on a daily basis. It is a disease.

However....some people do let the pressures of life get them down. In that case, I think a person's attitude about life in general has a lot to do with their state of mind, including allowing themselves to sink into depression. Too much worry, too much alcohol, too much of lots of different things can cause it. Lots of "depressed" people could change it by changing their "self" centered lives to "others" centered lives. I've seen it happen. I work in that field.
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MegsAnn
I know many people who have tried anti-depressants 'cause they were going through a hard time in their lives and found that it really didn't help. They stopped taking the meds because it wasn't effective... they didn't have clinical depression which is about brain chemistry, they had depression based on what was happening in their lives.

Me, I've been on anti-depressants for a couple of years now and I can tell you it isn't a "happy pill" for me. It just makes the darkness a little less black so that I can work my way back to life... through having friends, quilting, therapy, etc.

had to reply to this one!
One of the things that brings to much criticism to those of us that need/have to have meds, is family doctors not having the expertise to differentiate the different diagnosis and all the "quirks" of individuals, which isn't their fault,
and the patient gets the wrong medication for their problem.
So they are not helped, or it makes them sick or makes them worse, and then the patient is blamed for WANTING TO TAKE PILLS AND GET ATTENTION!
My own husband was angry, deep down resentful, for almost ten years!!!! ten years, bc I am disabled and cannot work, and part of that disability is my GAD, (general anxiety disorder).
He did not come to terms with my stuff, until he became medically/physically disabled himself.
Guess what? Bc of his medical problems affecting his mind, he no longer remembers at all, not understanding my sitution or the anger that would come out towards me when we had an occassional blow up...the inferences about not working etc...AND he is on an anxiety med now, too.
Same kind I take in a different form is all!
It helps him breathe!
So, I always say, (again, speaking to no one in particular),...watch how you judge ppl. It may come visit your own doorstep.
I wouldn't wish these things on anyone, and wish my own dear hubby had never gotten sick and disabled, but since he has, although mildly frustrating that he doesn't remember, at least I don't have to live with knowing he doesn't believe me anymore.
That added to all the other stuff...not being believed!
Talk about angry..."I" was angry! never mind him.
Depression and things like adhd, don't go away when you go to bed.
Oh no...a person with adhd and no meds????
I slept so lightly if you just whispered my name I was wide awake...all my life!
Dreams and nightmares galore.
Now I have problems sleeping bc of fibromyalgia, but i am in my fifties and other health problems too.
It's not an easy road without meds, and it's not an easy road with meds, but it is a better road that i have chosen, and glad it was available, and glad I found a better doctor.
Too many years of staying stuck on the wrong meds, bc doctors pretend to be God and you trust them, not knowing that trying a different medication can make all the difference!

Oh and I just wanted to say THANK YOU for starting this thread! Depression, meds, etc are things that desperately need to be talked about on both ends, the pros and cons.

Plus the first 5 meds that I tried... whoa I was going for a wild ride there for a while. I was on one that would literally knock me out; within 20 minutes of taking it I could no longer hold my head up. That can't be the best thing for your body. Even the one I'm on now has made me gain weight which is unnatural. So yes there are risks and bad side-effects that people need to be aware of so they can make a good choice.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Hey, I still have my head this morning!!! :lol:
Coffee on me everyone :oops: OK, donuts and chocolate too. :?

I would like to apologize if I upset anyone and say that I understand more now than I did when I started this thread. :thumbup:
(((hugs)))marsye, I would rather seem someone ask about something and say, "what's up with this?"...than just you know, 'chop other ppl's heads off for taking something or whatever'...you asked and gave us a chance to explain.
I see that as a good thing.
I don't drink coffee, but I will have a donut, please.
Got any filled ones...yummmers!:lol:
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

The second best thing is that by discussing it here there's no hitting, hair-pulling, biting, eye-gouging, everyone gets to be heard, and so on.[/quote]

Really??? Do you know how many people have come to my door and done just that after I started this thread!!!

:lol:[/quote]

I'm laughing, but just to be sure of what I'm laughing at???
Did anyone come to your door and accost you? lol?
Now, standing there with a box of donuts might cause a stampede. quilters get hungry! :-P