View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
sunflower126

You are right, there are a lot of people today that are on anti-depression drugs. I recently retired from working in a PCP's office and there were many people-young and old on medication for depression.

Myself I have been fortunate not to have a depressive type of personality. However, my husband has been on anti-depressants for most of the 43 years we have been married. His father and 2 sisters are also on them. It can be hereditary. My father took them. Oh there have been times that he tried to get of off them feeling as some do, embarrassed that he would need to take them. The Dr finally convinced him that it is like any other disease-heart problems, diabetes etc-you would take medication.

About 6 years ago, despite the fact he was one medication, due to some issues in the workplace, he had a set back and had to take off work for 6 weeks due to the depression. He visited a psychiatrist 3 times a week to start and eventually was well enough to return to work. On new medication he is doing just fine and knows that he will have to be on this for the rest of his life.

Marsye never having to deal with the issues you weren't aware of so many people dependent on anti depressants and why. Now you have been educated--and will be better able to understand your friend's problem. And I am sure that there are some taking medication that could do without with some life changes, but it's not always that easy.