Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 AM
deedles215

I looked through previous posts about machine quilting and I didn't see the answer I'm curious about...

I am a new quilter, but I'm starting to fly through my quilt tops (it's no wonder so many people have UFOs, lol!!!), but I'm super nervous about machine quilting.
I machine quilted my first quilt, SITD style- and it was TERRIBLE. I never want to see that quilt again- ever.

I really want to learn FMQ but I don't have the set-up for it just quite yet. I'm not confident enough to try it on my machine as is- muscling the first quilt around was hard enough as it was.
I have an old Montgomery Ward work-horse of a machine- I love it! It's not fancy, it's old; but man that machine runs and works like a charm- for me, for now.
My sister and I have considered going in on a quilting frame/frame and machine together. I have seen both on Craigslist in my area. At this point I can't afford a new one.

Okay, knowing all of that:
1. Can I buy a quilting frame without a machine?
2. Can I use it with my machine? Do I need a special machine for it?
3. How does it work- does it have to be set up all the time?
4. Anything else I should know- in general- about quilting frames? Obviously there's many brands/types... but..?? I'm just totally clueless.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! You guys have never let me down in the past... :D

Thanks!