View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 01:01 PM
salmonsweet

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
Thank you for all your in put. I was also thinking about just making a list of prices for the sizes??? but then of course what if they want you to make one that is more complex? Then you are in a bind because it is worth a lot more. I like the idea of either 3x the cost of the material or just 10.00 an hour. Keep those suggestions coming. Thanks Beth
Great thread, thanks for posting this, quiltingfriend!

Regarding complexity, I'm thinking you could always have a price guide with some photos of "simple" and "complex" quilts to give people an idea of base prices, and charge extra if you make a design specifically for someone.

I'd imagine that it will be good if you can end up offering each customer a fixed price for their quilt once you've agred the details of what you will make. After a bit of practice and timekeeping, you'll have a pretty good idea of how long your work will take (and get a feel for your customers and how much they are willing and able to pay...), so you'll be able to do fixed prices.

I've never sold quilts (yet... :) ), but have been self-employed for years. I've found that clients respond much more favorably to fixed prices than per-hour fees and estimates. So do I when I'm ordering something! I like it. I know beforehand how much I'll have to pay, it feels reliable and solid.