Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 PM
ktbb

Originally Posted by ktbb
depends on the manufacturer. I have one fabric that has several "lines" that could each be used as a single border or I could keep two or more of them together to have a wider "double" border.
re-read my own reply and realize that i didnt quite answer your question. All the border fabrics I've seen on the market in the last many years have been the standard 44-45 inch wide yardage. you cut the border off parallel to the selvedge, which is why you need to make sure you know how many border strips/cuts you can make from a single width of fabric (now read my original response above). ONce you decide how many you'll get out of the width, you can then calculate how many yards of the fabric you need to buy to have enough for your project. In the example I gave originally, one of the border designs in my fabric is repeated three times but the other border design is only printed two times (they alternate across the width of the fabric). I'd have to take that into consideration when calculating yardage to purchase.