Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome and I have some questions.....

  1. #1
    Senior Member PurpleBecca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    792
    Hi everyone - you have all made me so welcome and I thank you very much!! - in the introductions area and also the pictures area (that pictures area is deadly - I could spend all day looking at other peoples lovely quilts!!!)

    ANYWAY - I was wondering if anyone who admired my Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt had any idea where I could buy a hegagon graph paper?? I have been looking for one for years, the next GFG quilt (due for competion in the summer of 2016!!) was not designed on paper but the NEXT ONE I would like to try a design before I start - so any ideas?

    My other question is - where do you buy these lovely border fabrics?? I never see them anywhere? Maybe I am not looking hard enough! LOL!

    I visit the US from time to time and may be in Wisconsin in October - so I thought I would start trying to find out where I can get these things???

    Thanks for your help!

    R

  2. #2
    Super Member NorBanaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    2,900
    You can print Hexagon graph paper from this link

    http://www.printfreegraphpaper.com/

  3. #3
    Pam
    Pam is offline
    Super Member Pam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,713
    I think I remember seeing that you can download hexagon graph paper free online, try a search.

  4. #4
    Senior Member PurpleBecca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    792
    Oh WOW!!!! You have NO IDEA how hard I have looked for this stuff!!! AND that includes googling it before too!

    I have my first sheet going to print as I write!!!!



    THANK YOU!!!!!

  5. #5
    Marjpf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    1,915
    Here's another site that has it for free
    http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

  6. #6
    Kellys Table's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    in the Oregon Washington Gorge
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
    Oh WOW!!!! You have NO IDEA how hard I have looked for this stuff!!! AND that includes googling it before too!

    I have my first sheet going to print as I write!!!!



    THANK YOU!!!!!
    Me too! My cousin who lives in Peel, on the Isle of Man, went to buy some graph paper at an equivelant of $8.00. Now she can print one for penny's. Yippee!! :-P :-P
    Okay, back to work
    Colleen who is working on her web site http://cluttergutter.com

  7. #7
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,478
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would google quilt and fabric shops in the area you will be visiting. If any of them have a website, you can really plan ahead. Of course there is the option of ordering online - I think postage is manageable on most sites that ship internationally. As expensive as some of the brand name fabrics are in your neck of the woods (or isle), you can pay out a bit in postage to get what you want.

    Happy shopping.

  8. #8
    Senior Member PurpleBecca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I would google quilt and fabric shops in the area you will be visiting. If any of them have a website, you can really plan ahead. Of course there is the option of ordering online - I think postage is manageable on most sites that ship internationally. As expensive as some of the brand name fabrics are in your neck of the woods (or isle), you can pay out a bit in postage to get what you want.

    Happy shopping.
    Will Do! Stupid question time - does border fabric come by the yard - like ordinary fabric? Slice it up into widths or is it bought narrow? I just have NEVER seen it!

    I find fabric irresitably inexpensive in the US and have had a few lots shipped to me - still works out MUCH cheaper than here or the UK.

    Fabric in our local quilt store is $16 a yard!!!! (some more!) I buy some there to support the economy - but if I had to buy it all there I would make very few quilts.......

    Thanks for the advice MadQuilter!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    780
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
    Hi everyone - you have all made me so welcome and I thank you very much!! - in the introductions area and also the pictures area (that pictures area is deadly - I could spend all day looking at other peoples lovely quilts!!!)

    ANYWAY - I was wondering if anyone who admired my Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt had any idea where I could buy a hegagon graph paper?? I have been looking for one for years, the next GFG quilt (due for competion in the summer of 2016!!) was not designed on paper but the NEXT ONE I would like to try a design before I start - so any ideas?

    My other question is - where do you buy these lovely border fabrics?? I never see them anywhere? Maybe I am not looking hard enough! LOL!

    I visit the US from time to time and may be in Wisconsin in October - so I thought I would start trying to find out where I can get these things??? Thanks for your help!

    R
    Wow!! now that is what I call a "super shopping Trip!". Welcome to the Board. I would also like to know where to find some of these beautiful border prints.

  10. #10
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,957
    If you don't want to print out your own check out Connecting Threads. They have them.

  11. #11
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,058
    Blog Entries
    19
    The fabric I use for borders is usually yardage from my stash that works ith the project at hand. If there is special border fabric, I'm ignorant about it. All I've ever seen used and used myself was regualr fabric cut up for the borders. Hope this helps you out.

  12. #12
    Senior Member EllaBud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis and Panama City Beach
    Posts
    372
    Hi and welcome. Border fabric is sold by the yard. One thing to watch is the length of the repeat.

  13. #13
    Senior Member EllaBud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis and Panama City Beach
    Posts
    372
    Here's a link to Hancock's of Paducah. They have lots of high quality border fabric: http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...order--srcin-1

  14. #14
    Power Poster RedGarnet222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    14,815
    Here is a site for free designing sheets I found last week. You have to scroll down some to see them all , but, there are tons of them in all types of shapes.

    http://www.paperpieces.com/contents/en-us/d47.html

  15. #15
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,478
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBecca

    Will Do! Stupid question time - does border fabric come by the yard - like ordinary fabric? Slice it up into widths or is it bought narrow? I just have NEVER seen it!
    Not stupid at all. I think some of the fabric with large prints work well for borders. Some have predefined stripes and can be used in borders as well. One thing you need to decide if you want to piece the border or use a full-length piece.

    My family lives in Germany and when I go visit it is very disappointing that I cannot go fabric shopping (availability and price).

  16. #16
    Super Member Pamela Artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan U.P.
    Posts
    1,075
    Most quilt shops in the U.S. have border fabric, which are usually floral stripes, sold by the yard (usually 44" wide) and you have to cut the borders off the fabric yardage. Jenny Beyer makes beautiful border fabrics to coordinate with other fabrics. Her website has lots of them! I love border fabrics and I often plan my whole quilt around a beautiful border fabric!

  17. #17
    Super Member Pamela Artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan U.P.
    Posts
    1,075
    Here's a link to Jinny Beyer's website. Just look for her borders!
    http://www.jinnybeyer.com

  18. #18
    Super Member KathyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,512
    PurpleBecca, Where in Wisconsin are you visiting? We have a few really nice shops in my area of SW Wisconsin. Most of the LQS sell for about $9.50/yd or higher but we also have a Hancocks and Hobby Lobby that have beautiful fabric for a few dollars less and lots of sales.
    I jsut buy yardage that goes with my fabrics or often is even used in the blocks of my quilt to cut my border from.

  19. #19
    Lyn
    Lyn is offline
    Senior Member Lyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    344
    paperpieces.com has pre cut hexagons

  20. #20
    Member phoenixquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    67
    There is an online quilt shop called Paper Pieces that has free design sheets and free pattern sheets that you can print. Hope this helps.

  21. #21
    Super Member lass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,135
    Jenny Byers also has borders although hers are usually sophisticated, not cutesy.

  22. #22
    Junior Member stillwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBanaquilts
    You can print Hexagon graph paper from this link

    http://www.printfreegraphpaper.com/
    Wow! Thanks so much for this site! I forwarded it on to my daughter, who teaches math!

  23. #23
    Senior Member PurpleBecca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    792
    Thanks everyone - that is so much information in one string!!!

    I am visiting the area of WI around Milwaukee. I was there a few times before and I visit Delafield near Oconomowoc? A friend of mine worked in the Ben Franklin store there the fabric was fabulous!!!!! AND very tempting!

  24. #24
    Super Member Rainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    Here is a site for free designing sheets I found last week. You have to scroll down some to see them all , but, there are tons of them in all types of shapes.

    http://www.paperpieces.com/contents/en-us/d47.html



    EXACTLY what I have been looking for...THANKS

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,301
    Depending on where your're going in Wisconsin, you might be close to Nancy Zieman's store...here's the link to her website. She is a nationally know sewer and quilter..

    http://www.nancysnotions.com//

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.