Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome and I have some questions.....

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome. I couldn't believe all the responses. Glad I found this site.
    I was up until 3am this morning browsing around this site. So much info & good people.
    Thanks again

I looked at Jenny's border fabrics. They are just beautiful. When you buy them by the yard, how wide is the fabric? Is it just the one border width or does the border repeat as many time as width of material. Thanks, Sally

depends on the manufacturer. I have one fabric that has several "lines" that could each be used as a single border or I could keep two or more of them together to have a wider "double" border.

I AM STARTING A GRANDMOTHERS FLOWER QUILT FOR THE FIRST TIME. I BOUGHT A METAL HEXAGON TEMPLATE. FOR THE HEXAGONS , I WORK AT A HOSPITAL AND GET HEAVEY PLASTIC SPINAL TRAYS AND CUT MY TEMPLATES FROM THOSE. I DON'T THINK I COULD USE PAPER AND THIS WORKS GREAT. KILLING MY HANDS CUTTING THEM OUT BUT I THINK ITS MUCH BETTER THEN PAPER. I THINK I PAID ABOUT $7.00 FOR THE METAL TEMPLATE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO SEE IF I CAN FIND ANOTHER ONE JUST E-MAIL AND I'LL SEE IF I CAN HELP YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    depends on the manufacturer. I have one fabric that has several "lines" that could each be used as a single border or I could keep two or more of them together to have a wider "double" border.
    re-read my own reply and realize that i didnt quite answer your question. All the border fabrics I've seen on the market in the last many years have been the standard 44-45 inch wide yardage. you cut the border off parallel to the selvedge, which is why you need to make sure you know how many border strips/cuts you can make from a single width of fabric (now read my original response above). ONce you decide how many you'll get out of the width, you can then calculate how many yards of the fabric you need to buy to have enough for your project. In the example I gave originally, one of the border designs in my fabric is repeated three times but the other border design is only printed two times (they alternate across the width of the fabric). I'd have to take that into consideration when calculating yardage to purchase.

great info

Quote Originally Posted by PAPPIE
    I AM STARTING A GRANDMOTHERS FLOWER QUILT FOR THE FIRST TIME. I BOUGHT A METAL HEXAGON TEMPLATE. FOR THE HEXAGONS , I WORK AT A HOSPITAL AND GET HEAVEY PLASTIC SPINAL TRAYS AND CUT MY TEMPLATES FROM THOSE. I DON'T THINK I COULD USE PAPER AND THIS WORKS GREAT. KILLING MY HANDS CUTTING THEM OUT BUT I THINK ITS MUCH BETTER THEN PAPER. I THINK I PAID ABOUT $7.00 FOR THE METAL TEMPLATE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO SEE IF I CAN FIND ANOTHER ONE JUST E-MAIL AND I'LL SEE IF I CAN HELP YOU.
    Hi Pappie - not sure what you mean about the Spinal trays(?) but I dont use paper for basting through - never have !! I know you are supposed too!

When I was younger I was lucky enough to work in a museum for a year (part time) I had to catalogue an unfinished GFG quilt made in about 1820 - 1840 which had the writing papers still tacked (basted) in!! Fascinating - but WAY too thin for me. I used to use the backs of greetings cards (after the fronts had been used in a multitude of other ways!!) BUT lately I have bought packs of large index cards and cut my hexagons for tacking from them. (not as environmentally friendly but I dont seem as strong as I was in my youth!!

LOL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2