View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by sandpat
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Apparently there is a high demand for a long armer in my area. I had a lady that I see all of the time at the fabric store (she works there) and she was telling me if I had a long arm that I could make some serious cash. From my understanding there are only 2 in my area and one is almost an hour away that do long arm work. She says everyone sends their quilts off to folks all over the country to get them done and if I was priced right they would be coming to me.

I do not know if it justifies the price of a long arm but I am starting to think about it now. They also send a lot of machines my way to service also so the folks that go there know me pretty well.

Billy
Billy...I don't remember "exactly" where you live, but I know there are at least 2 LA's in Corinth, I personally know of 2 LA's in Middleton (and I heard there were others), there are several in Jackson....so evidently your lady hasn't checked too closely. Thats NOT to say that you couldn't do very well with starting your own LA business though. I just wanted to make sure you knew that there are others in the area.

:D
I just want one for my own personal use. But it someone needs one quilted then I will not turn it down. But I am having a hard time justifying the CNC version even though my wife told me if thats the one I want just go get it. It comes with a laptop....... :roll:

I have sold quilts and table runners, placemats at craft shows in my small town. In this economy, people don't want to pay very much, even for hand made items.
That is the reason I am doing the whole "Going Green" thing. I can keep the cost to a bare minimum and still sell to the "Bed in a Bag" mentality folks. They will come closer to dropping $150 to $200 on a queen sized hand crafted quilt. And it was made on a treadle with no Carbon Footprint.

Billy