Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Barb_MO

Cutting strip sets
Now, that you have sewn your strips into panels/strip sets and ironed with seam going in opposite directions for each strip set you are ready to cut the strips sets into more strips.

Cutting directions: You have your strips sets laying down with the wrong sides facing up. (photo #1)

Take first one off the stack and lay it on the cutting mat and straighten one end (photo#2)

Fold the strips set right sides together, with six fabs on bottom and 5 on top. I like to do it this way so I'm sure my ruler will reach the end of the set.
On the right side, match up the seams in two of three places and pin, (Photo #3). This helps to keep the set from shifting as you move it around and cut your strips.

If the left is still straight you can start to cut the strips according to what size you need. In the case of #1 set, that would 3 1/2". (photo #4) You may have to straighten the left size after a few cuts. With the ends pinned on the right side you can smooth it out, be sure all your seams match on the left and cut a new straight edge. Use lines on rull to line up with seam line to get straight cuts. continue cutting the 3 1/2" pieces until you have the required number. As you cut the strips unfold and stack together.

Use this process until you have cut all the strip sets into needed amount in the required widths and stacked...and you will then have 2,156 little pieces sewn (photo#5). Not once did you have to pick up and sew two little pieces together or sew strips into tubes, cut, then snip out threads to open where you needed a certain color on the top.

Next set of instructions will be to arrange all these strips so they will be sewn in order to make the four sections of your quilt.

#1 Strips Sets Ironed , Stacked, Ready to Cut
[ATTACH=CONFIG]66439[/ATTACH]

#2 Straighten one end of strip set
[ATTACH=CONFIG]66450[/ATTACH]

#3 strip set folded and pinned on left
[ATTACH=CONFIG]66451[/ATTACH]

#4 One strip cut from first strip set.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]66452[/ATTACH]

#5 All sets have bee cut & stacked. There are 2,156 pieces stacked here
[ATTACH=CONFIG]66481[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-66434.jpe   attachment-66445.jpe   attachment-66446.jpe   attachment-66447.jpe   attachment-66476.jpe