View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Holice
Banned

I make a lot for charity. Mine are very simple with interesting fabric for the top, batting and back and I do the binding by hand.
One piece fabric for the top and machine quilted abut every 6" down. Mine go to the Respitorary Therepy Unit of the local hospital. There are many groups that will take quilts. Project Linus is a national organization.
One caution that I will make is don't get in a situation that you have to meet a goal of a certain number. This happened to me three years ago when I took some to the nursery of a local hospital. To make sure every new baby got a quilt, I committed to making for December Deliveries. I worked myself to death to get them done. I believe this also applies to donating in a way that there is an expectation by the receiving group that you will produce enough for their needs.
I also have a philosophy about charity quilts. That is: more is better than masterpiece quilts. So select simple designs. Squares in colorful fabrics is just as appreciated as complicated feather star designs. That is why I just do the single piece of fabric. I get fabric that would appeal to wide range of ages for both boys and girls. I even make some with ethnic design prints.Bright and colorful and quick is my motto. By doing this I was able to donate 100 to the local hospital last year with another 50 going to other organizations. I will get a few ready for the handwork and sit and watch tv in the evening while doing the bindings.