Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you make quilts for Charity, and >

Do you make quilts for Charity, and

Do you make quilts for Charity, and

Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM

I've been debating making a quilt for charity. I have dogs at home and my hubby is a smoker, which puts me out of alot of the ones I've wanted to do. Do you donate quilts to charity, and can u recommend any? I was gonna make some for the retirement home and just make sure they're washed first. Any suggestions?
~Bj~
Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 PM

Hi
My guild is very small and we make a lot of charity quilts, we donate to anyone in our small communities that have house fires, you might contact your local fire dept, to see if they would like to have a few on hand too, to give out.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Great idea! Thanks!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Check with a local food/clothing bank for people in need. Hospitals will accept them for cancer patients, many police keep some in their cars for children in distress. Project Linus, Ronald McDonald House and Quilts for Kids are all good programs too. Just wash the quilts before sending.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Also, check with your local nursing homes. They always will welcome homemade quilts.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Domestic Violence Shelters have a need for them too... Many towns have a charity coordinator, they would also know of specific places in your area :D:D:D
Old 04-20-2010, 04:44 AM

I spent last evening visiting at a Ronald McDonald House. A 2 year old (sibling of the patient) was to be coming to the house later last night and there was NO small blanket for him/her although I was told they usually have some. So guess what my project is for today - you are right - a toddler blanket. And I will keep making them as I can. Project Linus, Downy Quilts for Kids. Oh there are so many that need whatever we can make and donate. "Someone somewhere has a need for exactly what I have to offer - Louise Hoy".
Old 04-20-2010, 05:08 AM

Welcome to Quiltingboard.
It has opened a new avenue of communication for me and holds a wealth of knowledge.
I use our search field a lot. There are posts on so many views and ideas.
Sounds like your heart is in the right place. I would encourage you to follow your desire to make quilts for those in need. You may not have had time to see this post yet and I think you will enjoy it very much. It is titled: Pay it forward. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42727-6.htm. I thought of it when I read your post, with your desire to give to others.
I have a post you might take some information from also.
It is titled: Been in storage too long. How do you get the smell out? http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42530-1.htm
I also did a search on 'get the smell out' and there are several post that might have information for your situation as well.
I warn you: This board is very addictive. Your gonna love it!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I just donated one too my No Kill Cat Shelter. They used it as a item to raffle off, at their spagetti dinner. While I am not a smoker, I am a pet a holic, so most of my stuff has pet fur on it unfortunatly, I just brushed it off, and when I'm not working on my stuff I keep them in big bags, otherwise the pets would think they could use them! I am sure if you wash the quilt first, any smell or fur issue would be gone! Your heart is sure in a great place...GOOD FOR YOU!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Banned

I make a lot for charity. Mine are very simple with interesting fabric for the top, batting and back and I do the binding by hand.
One piece fabric for the top and machine quilted abut every 6" down. Mine go to the Respitorary Therepy Unit of the local hospital. There are many groups that will take quilts. Project Linus is a national organization.
One caution that I will make is don't get in a situation that you have to meet a goal of a certain number. This happened to me three years ago when I took some to the nursery of a local hospital. To make sure every new baby got a quilt, I committed to making for December Deliveries. I worked myself to death to get them done. I believe this also applies to donating in a way that there is an expectation by the receiving group that you will produce enough for their needs.
I also have a philosophy about charity quilts. That is: more is better than masterpiece quilts. So select simple designs. Squares in colorful fabrics is just as appreciated as complicated feather star designs. That is why I just do the single piece of fabric. I get fabric that would appeal to wide range of ages for both boys and girls. I even make some with ethnic design prints.Bright and colorful and quick is my motto. By doing this I was able to donate 100 to the local hospital last year with another 50 going to other organizations. I will get a few ready for the handwork and sit and watch tv in the evening while doing the bindings.